Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Meet Milo the JRT

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    Forgive me if you've already covered this, but why are you waiting to have Milo neutered? Seems like that would be a big help in changing his behavior.
    Its a long waiting list to get him in. 3 months is actually really fast compared to what the waiting list use to be when the program started up a few years ago.

For a male dog its $75 to get fixed
    Chip is $20 (he is getting this done)
    3 shots are $15 each (he doesn't need this)
    Minor health repairs are about $10-20 each if I recall (he doesn't need this)

I want to support this program, & my vet refuses to take my money for her to fix him herself.

Not to mention we were not looking nor wanting a 3rd dog. Esp a dog that has bitten a child, its not an easy thing to deal/cope with. But he has so much good potential, and we are suckers

Since Milo has arrived, I have spent nearly $200 on things he needs (most of it going towards his aggression issues). He still needs a seatbelt, proper winter footwear, and a warmer winter coat. I also need to get a new water dish that attaches to the big metal kennel (lost the attachment when we moved into the house, blah), and he'll need a life vest for water activity this summer. I'm sure I'm missing things that he'll need to be able to adjust to our life style.

Then there is also the extra mouth to feed. They all eat raw, which is not cheap.

My plans to get a microwave are now gone lol

There is a waiting list for the program. I hope Milo moves up quickly and it may be less than three months. Could the health department help you get in sooner, considering the circumstances? If he is neutered sooner, would that improve your ability to help him learn new behaviors? Maybe three months is not a long enough amount of time that it would make a difference, though. I would like to say again, bless you for taking Milo in! And hugs to Charlie and Digi too!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    There is a waiting list for the program. I hope Milo moves up quickly and it may be less than three months. Could the health department help you get in sooner, considering the circumstances? If he is neutered sooner, would that improve your ability to help him learn new behaviors? Maybe three months is not a long enough amount of time that it would make a difference, though. I would like to say again, bless you for taking Milo in! And hugs to Charlie and Digi too!
    The health department only cares about rabies. All they did was look at him from afar through a window, then leave. The guy didn't come anywhere near my place.

From what I read, no one gets in sooner. Everyone has to obey the waiting list. It kinda sucks, but I don't think it's the end of the world right now.

Milo and Cam were sharing the same dog bed tonight.

The remote static collar came in today. At first I thought it wasn't working as Milo was chasing the cat all over. The directions suck. So I pressed random buttons and now understand how it works. 1,2,3 is low med high. 4,5,6 is multi pulse. Not sure the strength for those 3. Then there is crazy vibrate. Milo hates it. It really breaks his focus.

After a short while of corrections on stop trying to chase the cat, he gave up. Once he layed down, Cam came straight over to him and fell asleep a couple feet away. They both got up over the evening, and both ended up sleeping near the other.

Cam loves to play with dogs, and really wants to be his friend. I am hoping he will understand quickly that Cam is not a squeaky toy.

I look forward to tomorrow. I really hope the crazy vibrating will allow him to control himself. The muzzle will remain for a very long time.

Mile has had a good few days.

The static/vibrating collar has made him into a new dog. His drive to hurt and chase the cat is really low. He now will gently interact with her, and has shared the big dog bed with her many times now.

Today we had his muzzle off, and allowed him to chase a ball with Digi & Charlie. He has some manors to learn, but hes pretty good at dropping the ball. Hes just terrible at getting the ball first, so I have to fake throw & then gently throw the ball to his feet so he can get it some of the time.

He was trying to get frisky with Digi today, that didn't go well on his part. She shot him down quickly, and gave him a lot of lip. Poor guy

Last night he indicated that he wanted some attention. I picked him up & held him like a baby on my lap & gave him a nice chest rub. He really enjoyed it & enjoyed a gentle hug.

Sadly his interactions with Trevor are almost 0 right now. Trevor cannot pet, walk, or play with any of the dog right now. He slipped on our outside step breaking his hand yesterday. Neither of us got any sleep that night (the ER visit was pretty fast IMO), and after I brought Trevor home, I had to go to work. When I got home, I passed out in bed, and slept for 19hrs. I was so out of it, that I didn't remember that my dad had called me in the am to see how Trevor was doing. All that means, is that the poor dogs had to hold it for 19hrs. No one had an accident! Mind you they all exploded outside the second they hit the snow. I'm so happy Milo has bladder control. Dealing with Charlies 0 bladder control was very frustrating, as he was worse then a puppy.

So glad to hear Milo is doing well, cautiously optimistic! Sorry to hear about Trevor, but glad the ER visit was at least not too bad in terms of timing, I am sure they all staff heavily for New Years just n case!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    So glad to hear Milo is doing well, cautiously optimistic! Sorry to hear about Trevor, but glad the ER visit was at least not too bad in terms of timing, I am sure they all staff heavily for New Years just n case!
    That could explain why they took him in so quickly. We only waited for about 25 mins or so in the waiting room. They got him an xray right away, but the wait for a dr took a few hours. I was shocked at the $22.00 parking though, that was sick

Milo being a good boy. He is not a fan of laying on the dog bed, but he likes to lay on a blankets. Cam hes been really happy to snooze near him, but all claws come out if he comes too close as she doesn't fully trust him yet.

In this photo, you can kinda see Sammy the Axolotl in his tank. Him and Cam are really good friends. They like to play with each other through the tank (when it was on the floor)..

Yay, Milo! I enjoyed reading all the good updates -- you played ball, you got a lot of lovies and snuggles, and you are doing much better with your behaviors! Maybe in time you'll learn that a dog bed is comfortable. If not, it looks like you found a comfortable blanket where you can take a rest! Happy New Year to Milo, Charlie, Digi, Cam, Sammy and your people!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    Happy New Year to Milo, Charlie, Digi, Cam, Sammy and your people!
    Happy New Year!

You forgot the:
    6 Tarantulas
    5 Turtles
    12 Toads
    6 Catfish
    2 Shrimpies
    and 200+ guppies lol

EDIT:
    How could I forget the stow-a-way Post Tree Frog! Silly thing was in a box of greens at a warehouse. It was born free, but thought the trip to Ontario was a good idea (nope) lol

Quote Originally Posted by Digi View Post
    Happy New Year!

You forgot the:
    6 Tarantulas
    5 Turtles
    12 Toads
    6 Catfish
    2 Shrimpies
    and 200+ guppies lol

EDIT:
    How could I forget the stow-a-way Post Tree Frog! Silly thing was in a box of greens at a warehouse. It was born free, but thought the trip to Ontario was a good idea (nope) lol
    Oh, goodness! Thank heavens you found it! Any picture? An Ontario winter is not frog-freindly, the natives gave all turned up the antifreeze and gone into hibernation long since!
    I've Been Frosted

Milo was bad a few days ago & all freedom was revoked. He is back to square one, until he can show his interest in attacking poor Cam is 0.

He was acting normal around Cam & Cam was just laying there. I turned around to help put Trevor's temp hand cast on his broken hand when Milo bolted at Cam & started attacking her (he pinned her down).

There was no fur pulled, and no wounds. Cam was just pissed off that she was used at a squeeky toy (why Milo is banned from playing with such toys).

We think it could be her bell that is triggering him. So we attached the bell to Charlie for the weekend, and now its on Milo.

So far he wont even look at Cam. He turns his back to her & lays down.

Jasper here to say: Milo, let the kitty be your friend, they're much better butt-warmers than they are squeaky toys!

Milo bit the cat again over the weekend

I got his human aggression under control, but getting him to lay off the cat is one heck of a challenge! So far we just locking the cat up in the basement so he can have free time in the house. Then we tie him back up (in the living room), so the cat can be free to roam the house.

Any advice on this cat issue. Hes gotten less aggressive with her, so now I can't even tell when hes going to strike

Milo, I hope you had a good day today. Thinking of you and your caring person Digi!

As long as Milo is tied, he gets along with Cam just fine. She'll snuggle up to him on the big dog bed (he is unmuzzled when indoors now), she'll drink out of his water dish, and she can run about like a spaz & hes fine.

Its the second he is free he hunts her down to bite her (she doesn't even have to be moving). He has never broken her skin, and never left a mark on her, but biting is unacceptable. She has clawed the hell out of his chest, ears, and neck for the few times he has pinned her down. He doesn't seem to care at all about it.