Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Oliver completed radiation!!

We have now had 3 treatment and he seems to be doing fine. He is still eating, sleeping, and telling me that he is hungry at 4AM

The vet says that he is doing okay during the radiation. So far so good...

Quote Originally Posted by emily_the_spoiled View Post
    We have now had 3 treatment and he seems to be doing fine. He is still eating, sleeping, and telling me that he is hungry at 4AM

The vet says that he is doing okay during the radiation. So far so good...
    Hungry at 4 am is always a good sign!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Oliver is always hungry! I don't think I have ever met a cat that is quite this food motivated. I can always tell when he is not well because he stops eating. As long as he is eating things are okay.

So we have now reached about 2/3 of the way through the treatment. Now including today's treatment, there are 6 more to go. So far he has had only a few side effects and thankfully none of them have effected his appetite (although I am not sure anything would ). The vet did warn me that the last few treatments are when they are likely to start seeing some side effects, so please keep your fingers crossed for him that they won't be too bad for him.

When I went to drop him off this AM, the radiation machine wasn't working and they were waiting for the repair person to come. I haven't heard back from them yet which likely means that it is going to take awhile to fix the machine ...

The vet also showed me this great video of Oliver opening the cage door and escaping. They tried a different closure the next day and he managed to open that also. They have now rigged something else up, but they tell me that he is still trying to get out. Since he has 7 more days there, I am pretty sure by the end he will have managed to figure it out again

What a clever boy! You'll have to add Houdini as a middle name!

I am glad the side effects have been few, and that any that do show up in the next 6 treatments are not too bad.

I take it his appetite has not been affected?

What happens after the radiation is done? Is there a waiting period and then a test of some kind to give Oliver the all-clear?

After he finishes his radiation he is put on piroxicam in an attempt to prevent the cancer from coming back (similar to tamoxifen for breast cancer). Unfortunately there is no test he can be given to determine whether he is cancer free. I just have to cross my fingers and hope that is doesn't come back (along with the tamoxifen). There is a high probability that it will come back with a low 1-year survival rate. But if he makes it to one year he is likely to survive.

I am trying to keep positive thoughts about this because he had clean edges when they remove the cancer and it had not spread to the lymph nodes or lungs. When they tested the biopsy, they found that this particular type of cancer had a high mitotic rate (which means that is grows very quickly). So that is the down side, but this also means that it may be more responsive to the radiation.

More prayers and good wishes and healing energies for you from us, Oscar Houdini! (What a clever boy you are!)

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by emily_the_spoiled View Post
    Oliver is always hungry! I don't think I have ever met a cat that is quite this food motivated. I can always tell when he is not well because he stops eating. As long as he is eating things are okay.
    Prayers for a hungry and well Oliver and I hope that radiation does its job.

Hugs to Emily_the_spoiled
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Oliver is now starting to experience some side effects from the radiation and he is having a difficult time eating

The vet has put him on pain meds and antibiotics, so hopefully this will help him.

He only has 4 more treatments to go and then he is finished...

Oh, hang in there Oliver, this will all make you feel better eventually!
    I've Been Frosted

Keep fighting Oliver, the radiation is almost over!!

Please know that your sweet Oliver is very much in my thoughts and prayers for a complete recovery. I'm sending him some very gentle get well soon lovies. Please keep us updated on his progress.
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

You're almost there Oliver! Prayers going out!

Keep on, Oliver! Our purrayers are with you. Head Bumps from my krew and chin scritches from me.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Sending loads of love and good wishes and prayers and healing energies for dearest Oliver, that the medications and the radiation are doing their jobs, the pain and discomfort will soon be over, and he will undergo a complete recovery.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery