Thread: SNL skit about the fake ASL interpreter - thoughts?

SNL skit about the fake ASL interpreter - thoughts?

My mom & uncle were talking about this skit yesterday and I hadn't had the chance to see it until today. I'm not really sure about to feel about this but I'm not surprised. It's American Sign Language, a form of communication that the deaf community relies on and a huge part of who they are. I had to rely on it growing up until I started speaking so it was and still my first language. Mixed feelings about it, I have to admit that. I DO understand they're poking fun at the fake interpreter, though but still… I GUESS maybe I am being a bit oversensitive but I am deaf.

http://www.nbc.com/saturday-night-li...d-open/n44342/ is the skit if you wish to check it out.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

I don't think they were making fun of the fake interpreter or any ASL interpreters or anything to do with ASL.

What they were making fun of was that this whole screwup happened at all. Somebody did not do their job checking this guy out to make sure he really was who he claimed to be and had the capability he claimed to have, when he was going to be within a couple of feet of President Obama and other world leaders.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Apparently there is a South African sign language and the South African deaf community said he was signing gibberish.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

They may not be making fun of ASL or its culture, but to "fake sign"/"gibberish" and continue that as a joke is kind of making a mockery out of the language. :roll eyes:

But you're right - someone did not do their job right and caused all of this. Sad. Did they ever talk about what was going to happen to that fake interpreter?
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Quote Originally Posted by CountryWolf07 View Post

But you're right - someone did not do their job right and caused all of this. Sad. Did they ever talk about what was going to happen to that fake interpreter?

The man has been admitted to a psych hospital according to this report.

http://worldnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2...al-report?lite
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt