Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Winter Weather

Winter Weather

So they have started "naming" winter storms now, but I don't see it catching on. Have you bought into this? Names seem fine for hurricanes, whose development we watch over oceans and that seem contained in a certain area, but winter storms tend to sprawl and go on for days sometimes, doesn;t seem as applicable for naming them!

There's a storm coming to us this weekend - I know it is already hitting those of you in the midWest, stay safe everyone! But what amused me today was I got an email from the local Supermarket chain saying "Stock up before the storm!" like the weather forecasters are not already is a tizzy, and people won;t already be running for the "French Toast supplies" as everyone stocks up on bread, milk and eggs, as well as bottled water.

Mind you, this is not a forecasted multi-day blizzard. For us, it is a snow storm starting Saturday evening, maybe not even until most folks are usually in for the night, and lasting until Sunday morning, so most folks may sleep through the bulk of the storm, and are certainly not going to starve while doing so! We may get 8 inches, considerable yes, but not disastrous!
    I've Been Frosted

Maybe other weather forecasters are better than what we have here in Cincinnati. The people here are wrong more often than they are right. We were supposed to get three fronts moving last week. School was cancelled on Friday, as we got snow that began at 3 pm. I get it, as you can't have kids (read, teachers) stranded at departure time. But, the other two fronts simply never made it in. So, I think that made them 1/3 that week.

We are supposed to get something starting at 9 pm tonight. Events are being cancelled left and right. Let's see what happens.

As to naming storms? I don't really follow why we do it for any reason.

They started naming them last winter. I was hoping they would stop that silliness over the spring and summer but nope. Now the nuttiness continues!!! I am getting so I hardly pay attention to the names, specially when the storms come so close to each other. Hopefully they will grow out of it.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

It is only The Weather Channel that is naming winter storms. It is NOT the National Weather Service.

I think we are going to get our first snow this winter!!!

I've heard a couple of different forecasts for the Chicago area. I've heard one to three inches, two to five inches, and (way south) six inches or more. Winter storm Electra -- wasn't she the Greek mythological character whose stepfather killed her father? How does that fit with snow and ice?
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

It is snowing here already, don't know how much we are to get tho. Each time I hear it is a different amount. I just hope it's the lesser amount I don't mind the winter cold but I hate the snow and ice. Stay safe everyone who is getting this snow.

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."

Winter weather here is clear, beautiful skies (little or no smog), rain about once a week, and temps in the 60s and 70s. I love L.A.! The summers are hell here if you don't live near the beach, though.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

I just got back home - so few people made it to the Messiah Sing tonight that they had us all move to the first floor - usually the women's voices are in the balcony! There was onlly one string bass and one bassoon in the orchestra for the low parts, but they, with the cellos, made it work!

Very snowy out there, plows are out everywhere!
    I've Been Frosted

If I took a photo now it would be all white as the snow is falling and drifting this way and that, sideway, upwards, every whim of the wind pushes in a different direction. The camera cannot capture the whimsy and wonder of a winter storm at night, with the hush of the snow fall, and glittering flakes as the streetlights try to make a path to the ground, but the light is reflected and refracted a millions way by a billion flakes, and the night is bright as day, and the sky reflects an odd pink from the city lights.

The only sound is the scrape of plows in the distance and the whisper and rush of wind, pierced suddenly and briefly by the peal of the back-up beeps as a plow attempts a different angle, doing its best to manage the unmanageable.
    I've Been Frosted

We got a fair amount of snow here yesterday but I haven't measured it yet. At least 3 inches would be my guess.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    If I took a photo now it would be all white as the snow is falling and drifting this way and that, sideway, upwards, every whim of the wind pushes in a different direction. The camera cannot capture the whimsy and wonder of a winter storm at night, with the hush of the snow fall, and glittering flakes as the streetlights try to make a path to the ground, but the light is reflected and refracted a millions way by a billion flakes, and the night is bright as day, and the sky reflects an odd pink from the city lights.

The only sound is the scrape of plows in the distance and the whisper and rush of wind, pierced suddenly and briefly by the peal of the back-up beeps as a plow attempts a different angle, doing its best to manage the unmanageable.
    Best bet for photographing a storm at night: Use a tripod, max aperture, long exposure. You'll get a blur from the snowflakes, and maybe trails from the occasional headlight.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

They started naming storms over here, too. This last one was called Bodil. They change in between girls' and boys' names, just like in the US. No snow storm names, though.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by smokey the elder View Post
    Best bet for photographing a storm at night: Use a tripod, max aperture, long exposure. You'll get a blur from the snowflakes, and maybe trails from the occasional headlight.
    I wasn't commenting in my ability, rather that a photograph, no matter how clear, never really captures the beauty and sensations of a winter storm at night. It cannot catch the subtle sounds, the sensation, the movement, or the shifting, oddly atmospheric light!
    I've Been Frosted

My final on friday was cancelled due to an acidic smell in the building. It better not be cancelled again tomorrow thanks to this dumb stupid storm.

Okay, now I'll take this storm a bit more seriously - sure, once I put out birdseed this afternoon the juncos and sparrow arrived, and then the mama cardinal, but now the morning doves are out there, at the same time as the little birds!
    I've Been Frosted