Thread: our 2 female cats

our 2 female cats

hey can someone out there tell me why our 2 female cats after living together for 9 months to a year together all of a sudden last night started going after each other. I dont know what to do but right now we have them seperated but cant keep doing this. Please help someone. ty in advance

How old are they? Are they both spayed? Any recent changes in the household?
    I've Been Frosted

Karen asked good questions.

Also, do you have plenty of climbing things for them -- cat trees? Are there some toys out? Do you spend time daily playing with each of them alone or together?

Did you happen to see what started it -- food, a toy, both wanting to be in the same pet bed?

I have 8 cats currently. Two do not get along and likely never will. I keep a water squirt bottle handy and Tommy KNOWS he better not go near Mandy or I am RIGHT THERE. When this started (after they had lived in the same house 2 years with no issues), I had to be sure one was in a bedroom with the door closed every time I left the house. OF course that bedroom has litterbox, food and water bowls, cat tree, pet bed and at least one toy. Now, after 4 years of this, Tommy pretty much leaves her alone. Now and then Mandy will start screaming for me, and all I do is holler, "Tommy, get OUT!" and he flies out of the room they are in (could be anywhere in the house) as he knows I am coming with the water bottle (I'm not, ha haa). He is a hefty tom at 11 pounds, she is a petite gal at 5.5 pounds, he could really hurt her. And he IS the one who starts it!

The other cats can live peacefully for months and then a little spat breaks out, I don't have to do anything they stop on their own. Usually it happens when one is sleeping in a bed and another tries to snuggle in too.

they are scheduled to go get fixed but no nothing had started it it just happen and our one cat has a injury of nerve damage and it seems like even today we still cant bring them together but i am going to try the water bottle trick n also maybe keep them apart for a few days. I have been waiting for my husbands social security to start because i am on a fixed income as well so its basically only my income n things are very tight like it is for everyone. thanks for the help and hope things work out.
    Quote Originally Posted by Freedom View Post
    Karen asked good questions.

Also, do you have plenty of climbing things for them -- cat trees? Are there some toys out? Do you spend time daily playing with each of them alone or together?

Did you happen to see what started it -- food, a toy, both wanting to be in the same pet bed?

I have 8 cats currently. Two do not get along and likely never will. I keep a water squirt bottle handy and Tommy KNOWS he better not go near Mandy or I am RIGHT THERE. When this started (after they had lived in the same house 2 years with no issues), I had to be sure one was in a bedroom with the door closed every time I left the house. OF course that bedroom has litterbox, food and water bowls, cat tree, pet bed and at least one toy. Now, after 4 years of this, Tommy pretty much leaves her alone. Now and then Mandy will start screaming for me, and all I do is holler, "Tommy, get OUT!" and he flies out of the room they are in (could be anywhere in the house) as he knows I am coming with the water bottle (I'm not, ha haa). He is a hefty tom at 11 pounds, she is a petite gal at 5.5 pounds, he could really hurt her. And he IS the one who starts it!

The other cats can live peacefully for months and then a little spat breaks out, I don't have to do anything they stop on their own. Usually it happens when one is sleeping in a bed and another tries to snuggle in too.

Quote Originally Posted by monamug View Post
    they are scheduled to go get fixed but no nothing had started it it just happen and our one cat has a injury of nerve damage and it seems like even today we still cant bring them together but i am going to try the water bottle trick n also maybe keep them apart for a few days. I have been waiting for my husbands social security to start because i am on a fixed income as well so its basically only my income n things are very tight like it is for everyone. thanks for the help and hope things work out.
    They are the right age for hormones to start kicking in, so getting them spayed will be important for keeping the peace! Check, there may be a local place that will do it less expensively because of your fixed income status.
    I've Been Frosted