Thread: My friend's cat has HAIR LOSS...I need some help

My friend's cat has HAIR LOSS...I need some help

My friend has a two year old male, all black, longish haired cat. He is an indoor cat, no bathroom problems, lives with his sister, and a dog...but this isn't a new situation. He eats Iams regular food. Is current on his shots, healthy weight, etc.

My friend noticed about one week ago some weird hair loss on the kitty's belly- right below the rib cage, towards the cat's privates, and slightly onto his groin area. My friend said it looks as if he has been shaved for Sir Jury (which he hasn't). It looks like it is expanding both up and down, but not so much outwards. He hasn't noticed the kitty scratching or tearing the hair out, and there doesn't appear to be any sensitivity to the area- as he poked and prodded, but didn't notice anything.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks.

Regardless, a vet visit is in order in my opinion. A friend of mine had a cat who had tummy hair loss that looked just like what you described. She told me the vet said the she was "stressed" about something and took to licking her tummy "obsessively" as some kind of comfort reaction to whatever was causing her stress. They had recently moved to a new house, and this behavior started within a month of that event, and it did subside over time.

If I remember, the vet said they could prescribe a kind of 'kitty prosac' but to see if the situation improved over time.

Is there anything new in the kitty's life?

I remember when Ritz was going through "puberty", right before we had her spayed, she got a mild urinary tract infection that the doctor said is common with the stress brought about by going through changes like that, and that cats, like people, react to stress in different ways, including changes in health and habits.
    "Everything is better when Ritz sits on it......or in it"

Could it be a skin allergy?
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Here's some "lynx" to a few sites with information about this problem:http://www.provet.co.uk/health/disea...eciafelsym.htm
    http://aolsvc.petplace.aol.com/artic....asp?artID=146
    (I am actually going through the same problem right now on MY "fur" - kind of embarrassing to be a female with a bald spot - guess I'll have to buy some of that spray-on hair! )
    The legend says that Mohammed adored cats. When one of them was sleeping on his sleeve and he had to go out, Mohammed supposedly cut off the sleeve so as not to disturb his pet.

A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast - Proverbs 12:10

How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven. - Robert A. Heinlein

What greater gift than the love of a cat? ~ Charles Dickens

There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person. - Dan Greenberg

If purring could be encapsulated, it'd be the most powerful anti-depressant on the market. ~Alexis F. Hope

OMG --- I hope people know I was talking about the hair on my head , not my "fur" - don't want to be giving "too much information" LOL (didn't realize how I worded that at first!)
    The legend says that Mohammed adored cats. When one of them was sleeping on his sleeve and he had to go out, Mohammed supposedly cut off the sleeve so as not to disturb his pet.

How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven. - Robert A. Heinlein

There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person. - Dan Greenberg

If purring could be encapsulated, it'd be the most powerful anti-depressant on the market. ~Alexis F. Hope

Originally posted by All Creatures Great And Small
    OMG --- I hope people know I was talking about the hair on my head , not my "fur" - don't want to be giving "too much information" LOL (didn't realize how I worded that at first!)
    TF....I do know it is more common in women than one would think. I have a friend that has this condition. Hers seems to be linked to stress...lack of proper nutritution...

As to the cat's fur, thanks for the advice. I think this is exactly what is going on. I passed it on to my friend, and he is going to schedule an appointment for his kitty, to rule out other conditions. I knew PT wouldn't let me down!!! And, funnily enough, he was the one that suggested I put a feeler out on what he continues to call "Pet Talk Live" or "Cat Chat"- he is a dork...everyone say hello to my dorkie co-worker..Nathan!!!!

Hello, Nathan, from a fellow dork with a bald spot on her head!
    Stress? Improper nutrition? I would have NO IDEA about that, what with my relaxing retail career, and my healthy diet of fast food.........

my cat is having a problem like that.he has fleas and he is scratching at them so much that he is losing his hair.

i had a terrier who had fleas then a skin condition after he
    was treated for the fleas........
    my mom suggested a food called AVODERM, it's made from avocado meal (?) it was a god send.....cleared up his skin and make his fur shiny,
    i do not know if they make it for cats........also, it's a little pricey
    but nothing's too good for a pet.

This won't be much help, but I had a cat that this happened to once. He lost the hair in that exact area. Nothing was ever wrong with him and after a time, it just grew back normally. The only reason I mention it, is if noting is found, don't let your friend pull her hair out, it could be just like it was with my Thumper.....NOTHING

Mr Scrappy had the same problem

Mr dear friend the Late Mr. Scrappy had the same problem , he had licked off all the fur on his stomach and legs. It turned out that his thyroid was out of balance and making him hyper in his grooming. The vet gave him anoxsil and soon he was back to normal.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

My male cat had an UTI and it caused him to lick a lot of fur off in the same general area. I would recommend a vet visit, just to be sure all's OK.

Mary

Re: Mr Scrappy had the same problem

Originally posted by catmandu
    Mr dear friend the Late Mr. Scrappy had the same problem , he had licked off all the fur on his stomach and legs. It turned out that his thyroid was out of balance and making him hyper in his grooming. The vet gave him anoxsil and soon he was back to normal.
    Hmmmm.....I'll have to remember this when I take Peanut in for her checkup. She's still licking herself in certain spots even with the prednisolone (sp?) she gets everyday. The vet thought she had allergies, but I'm not sure since it's lasted so long. She doesn't lick anything bare anymore, but the hair - mostly on her tummy - isn't growing in completely either. The hair on her legs looks pretty good, but is never as full as it should be. He didn't do any blood tests or anything when he said she had allergies, so when I take her in again, I'll have him check her thyroid. That's kind of a common thing in older cats too isn't it? (she's 14 1/2) She acts, eats, pees, poops and even begs like normal, except for the spots that never really grew their hair back. The funny thing is I never see her licking herself. She must either do it during the day while I'm not there, or at night while I'm sleeping. Thanks for the tip, Catmandu, I'll definitely have her checked.
    Tubby
    Spring 1986 - Dec. 11, 2004
    RIP Big Boy
    -----------
    Peanut
    Fall 1988 - Jan. 24, 2007
    RIP Snotty Girl
    -----------
    Robin
    Fall 1997 - Oct. 6, 2012
    RIP Sweet Monkeyhead Girl

Originally posted by HoRsELUvR
    my cat is having a problem like that.he has fleas and he is scratching at them so much that he is losing his hair.
    Has your cat been treated for fleas????
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...