Thread: Taking an indoor cat for a walk

Hybrid View

Taking an indoor cat for a walk

I have an indoor cat. She used to go outdoors, when I lived in a 2nd floor unit. I'm up high now so my cat Pumpkin, does not go out. She would walk with me and my Border Collie. My cat really likes being near me. I wonder if I took her to a park, could we all walk together again? I think she would stay right with me, like she did in the past. Because she does that in my apt. she follows me to bed and in the morning, she will often wake me. So, I can feed her. But, she stays near me.
    I sure would hate to lose her. I think even my dog has forgiven her for hissing at him. Back when they were first together.

Anyone ever done this kind of thing with their cat.

I would buy her a harness and leash - some cats adjust to wearing a harness easily, other do not - you sort of never know until you try it. Try putting the harness on in the house a few times so she gets used to it, then you can clip it to a leash and walk her with you! I know some city kitties who walk just fine on leashes, it is more common than you'd think!
    I've Been Frosted

I agree, teach her to walk with a harness and leash!

My first cat, Mr. Amber Cat, aka Amber, was an outdoor kitty I brought inside. As we have coyotes in my area I did not want him to be an outdoor cat at all, ever. Amber meowed nonstop to go out. So we compromised. After a few sessions inside with the harness, he adjusted to it -- let me warn you the first time you put it on is hilarious! The cat will freeze in place, legs bent tight. As if this harness is a heavy weight! Keep that first session short, less than 5 minutes. Repeat as often as you can -- 3 times a day if possible, less if fine. Do this daily until the cat roams about inside with the harness on.

Next, attach the leash and take kitty for walks - first in the apartment, next in the building hallways, finally outdoors. Build up slowly. They do take to it! Pay attention to the cat and you will know when to venture to the next step - more distractions, being outside, staying out longer. Then add the dog to the mix.

For 8 years, Amber HAD to go out and walk around the apartment building TWICE each day, rain, shine, heat, cold, snow and ice, sleet, no matter. HE would decide when it was time and meow at the door. Since I was only walking him (not a dog and a cat, not 2 cats), I used a retractble leash. I was quickly trained: I was to remain at the maximum 10 feet, far away from him, and I was to be QUIET. Amber would do his 'jungle cat' routine, sleeking here and there, checking under bushes and shrubs. If my sneakers happened to crunch on some gravel, he would relax, straighten up, and turn to look at me over his shoulder -- the message in his face was clear: KEEP QUIET BACK THERE!!!

Yeah, I need to give that a try. The possibility of losing her will be eliminated. It may take a while, but that is the safe way to go.
    If people ask, I will just explain, I don't want to lose her.

---------pervious post---------------------------
    "teach her to walk with a harness and leash"

I would further advise, "be prepared to feel silly," but we know you own a cat and a dog, so guess you must have a healthy sense of humor already, right?
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I would further advise, "be prepared to feel silly," but we know you own a cat and a dog, so guess you must have a healthy sense of humor already, right?
    Yes, I would like to think I have a sense of humor. I found this cat emaciated, near were I used to live. She needed my help. Neighbors, who were animal
    lovers pitched in with some cat they had around. That was all she really needed. My dog has never hurt a cat or squirrel, but has done in a few snakes. I
    don't like snakes, so I did not feel that was a big deal. Other than if some how he got bitten. The anti-venom is $1500, so I stay away from swampy areas,
    when walking my dog. My dog would growl at the cat, when she was near his food bowl, or when she would hiss at him. She would also flank attack,
    when he walked by her. Kind of like push him away. My BC (Border Collie) was very easy to train. I forbade his growling and bark snapping, at the cat. Even though this was just a warning. I did want to come home to chewed cat or clawed up dog. It took over a yr, but the cat got used to my BC.

Now the cat does not like being left alone and will cry meow, when we are both gone. Now my cat will even run noses with my BC, when we get back from a
    walk. I am just looking for a way to give my cat a little more fun in life. Besides bird videos on the big screen, which she watches intently.