Thread: Puppy Problem :o\

Puppy Problem :o\

Cooper is now 13 weeks old. We got him when he was 8 weeks, and he has been really good about going potty outside... Until Wednesday... We've had him for 5 weeks now, and he's been great with housebreaking. Until Wednesday came around I could count on both hands how many times we've had an accident in the house.

Wednesday he started peeing everywhere. Yesterday (Thursday) he peed in the house 4 times with in a few hours, AND he peed outside as well. I wasn't able to get a Vet appointment until Saturday morning, so now I have to worry about what is wrong, If there is anything wrong... or could he be regressing or something, I don't know. He will usually even go to the door if he has to go, but the accidents are split... sometimes by the door, sometimes just anywhere....

I'm thinking that it could be a bladder infection, but my Mom also mentioned diabetes, which is something I wouldn't be able to afford if it was something like that...

Any other thoughts? I'm really worried about this....
    Thanks for your thoughts,
    Val

Cooper may have a urinary tract infection. If he does have diabetes, it isn't necessarily expensive to treat. The biggest expense is getting the blood checked when getting started and an occasional re-check.

Bear weighs 20.5 lbs and I buy insulin once a month. That costs $16.00. His food is a special food from the vet for about the same money. If I fed him a good quality pet food, it would cost about the same.

Bear is also on thyroid meds, but they don't cost more than $5 a month.

A larger dog, of course, would cost more because everything would need to be in larger doses.

I hope it's just (Just?) an UTI.

Mary

Coop'sMom,

I hope it's not an infection or other illness. 13 wks is still
    pretty young to be totally reliable about housetraining. Maybe
    he's just regressed a little bit. Goes he act any different lately?
    Maybe he should just be restricted to the kitchen for awhile,
    or kept on leash near you when he's allowed free time around
    the house. Let us know what the vet thinks if you should
    decide to take him there. Good Luck with this.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

If there is a problem, I'm hoping, like you said, Mary, it's "just" UTI. I know that 13 weeks is still unreliable, but he will go outside and potty, and come back in and 5 minutes later, pee again. He has been drinking alot of water lately as well, which made me think diabetes. But he's running around the yard after he takes his first initial pee, and squats probably 4-5 more times, and nothing really ever happens, and if it does, it's just a trickle.

My Mom's dog has diabetes, she's an older dog, but for her, it's somewhat expensive. Cooper, when grown, COULD be 125 Lbs. (his Mom was 50lbs... Dad was 125lbs). We are definatly going to the Vet tomorrow, and I will let you all know what happens.

Any ideas on how to get a urine sample from him?
    Thanks again for all your help.
    Val - Bonnie - Willow and Cooper
    inkitart.com

Nebo did that too one day....I think he was around the same age. He peed in the house at least 4 times in one day (errmm...my parents do not know about this lol) and I was SO frustrated with him! He hadn't done it for at least a week before that. For a while there I was worried about diabetes with him too, as he was drinking and peeing a lot. I don't know, he's fine now, hope Cooper is OK!

Well, we went to the vet on Saturday, and everything seems to be okay. She put him on different anibiotics (he was on something because of a bactieria infection on his head) so we switched that. She seems to think that he's having too much fun playing in the water, and to limit his water. So that's what I've been doing, and so far, so good. He did have the 'other' accident this morning, I don't know what that was all about. He's been pretty good about going outside for that since we got him, but we all make mistakes... hopefully that's all it was I'm glad it wasn't diabetes, that would have broke my heart. Thanks for your input everyone!
    Val - Bonnie - Willow and Cooper
    inkitart.com

I am so glad that everything turned out O.K!!!!!!!

Felice, Zeus, Hercules