Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Need PT Help - Emma & Annie need GOOD homes. (Can we help Gini?)

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    You know I love you, and this isn't exactly directed towards you, but your post strikes a nerve with me. People make choices. People choose to honor people while they are living, and when they are gone. Crappy family is crappy family- no matter the word family. Why would anyone love dearly someone that shows no compassion towards that loved one's pets is beyond me. That isn't love. And, a large part of the problem, IMO, is that people stand by and "love dearly" people that treat them like crap. Whether it is acting completely without compassion in this instance, beating someone, stealing/lying ...family or not- those people need to account for their actions, and be held accountable.

I have already had one PM which totally sought to excuse this family member's conduct. Call a POS a POS. That is what he is. Gini is gone. Her beloved pets are not. This isn't besmirching her honor or memory, it is standing up for it. feel the same way about the "dear friend" of hers, who couldn't take the pets in for some vague reason. It isn't during the simple, easy fun times that a person's character is shown, it is during the difficult times.

I lost the very few people I had like that in my life a long time ago. When the chips are down....
    Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic
    The focus should be on the kitties. With a side note in the form of a PSA- kick crappy people out of your life.

Bang on, Johanna. I sympathise with Gini's brothers, truly. I appreciate that they must have a lot on their plate, and suddenly having two cats to find homes for amidst all this must be a burden. But as a last task for a loved one? Whatever way it is sliced, I find their actions unpleasant.

But of course focussing on the more important matter at hand, I'm so glad to read that snakemama can foster them. You are truly a blessing, as is everyone else here busting a gut to get these cats a home. I'm once again reminded how utterly fabulous many people are on this site.I look forward to reading the updates on the kitties' progress, I know Gini would be so touched to see how much has been done for them.
    Last edited by Miss Z; 12-19-2013 at 05:48 PM.

Zimbabwe 07/13

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    The focus should be on the kitties. With a side note in the form of a PSA- kick crappy people out of your life.
    I guess the quote of "Fate chooses our relatives, we choose our friends."
    Jacques Delille

rings quite true here. Gini chose US as her friends, so we are trying to do right by A&E. Thank you Snakemama - my fingers are crossed and prayers are being sent.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

Wonderful news about the fostering! Snakemama, you rock!

Where do they have to travel to? Oscar's health has maxed me out and I can't give any money. Anything else I can do - send messages, whatever, let me know!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

If they are living at a feed store will they be there alone at night and over weekends and holidays? I hate to think of them being alone but I guess it would be better than the situation they are now in.
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We are open on the weekends, so I'd just have to pop in and feed them on holidays....I already go in to feed and clean our store pets (budgies) so it's no trouble. Hopefully they will be adopted soon enough that there won't be many holidays to worry about. I'll get a courtesy listing on petfinder, and put the word out with at least three of my customers who run cat rescues, and another one who runs a 'Kitty Hotel' and has helped out with some challenging rescues in the past.

The store does get a little loud on Sunday when we have a low cost vaccine clinic, but the kitty condo I'm hoping to borrow can be moved into our break room so that the animals at the vaccine clinic don't scare them.

Do we have access to their vet records? How old are they? Are they microchipped?

Quote Originally Posted by snakemama View Post
    Do we have access to their vet records? How old are they? Are they microchipped?
    I know they are 13 years old, and Slick has contact info for their current veterinarian, which she stumbled upon. They are such sweet girls, hopefully someone will fall in love once they have settled in!
    I've Been Frosted

OK, there are two different vets involved. Rascal had his own vet and when I called them today, they said they had never seen A & E.

I called another vet the other day and was told the last time Gini was in to them was 2008 and again was only for Rascal.

I don't believe that A & E have ever been to a vet.

Cathy, if someone is interested in them, will you or someone be doing a home check? I would hate to see them go to a non-PT person and have it not be the right fit. Sorry, just putting it out there.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

I will definitely interview any potential adopters, I hadn't thought about the home-check aspect of it. 0.0 It is my fervent hope that one of my customers who runs a cat rescue will take them in 'on paper', which would mean that potential adopters would have to fill out a real application and get a home check.

I'll make sure they are chipped and vaccinated too.

We know from Gini's posts and threads, they were born March 26, 2002, as she posted on their eight birthday which was 3/26/2010. So they are actually a little younger than we thought, 11 1/2 years old. They have at least been to a vet once - "It was instantly clear that I had to do something as both females were going into heat. This was on a Thursday and a call to the vets said they couldn't take them until Monday. I took them in but it was already too late - they were in heat and of course, it cost much more. It was an amazing weekend with two females in heat in my house."

But that would have been over 10 years ago now, and the vet office may not keep records that far back.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by snakemama View Post
    I'll make sure they are chipped and vaccinated too.
    Bless you for helping them!

Karen - I JUST found that thread right before I read your post! *taking notes*

Again, Cathy, I will contribute $$$ for the microchip, tattoo or any vaccination. It's the least I can do for Gini.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by slick View Post
    Again, Cathy, I will contribute $$$ for the microchip, tattoo or any vaccination. It's the least I can do for Gini.
    Cathy ~ I'm making the same offer. Please let us know if/when we can help. Also, I would contribute towards their adoption fee -- if they are adopted together -- when they find their forever family.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Thanks, Karen, for finding their date of birth and their ages. That is Great news as Mike thinks that they are close to their "age limit". 11 1/2? They are still spring chickens!!

Mike does have vet records, I'll find out the name of the vet she took them to. I called the two closest and she'd only taken Rascal to them. As soon as I post this, I'll send Mike an email.

I think if anyone wants to donate $$, a vet visit and their care would be ideal. Slick, Tonya, Stace and I need to discuss it, but I really feel Cathy's (snakemama) place sounds ideal. She's in a good network of rescuers and the exposure they'd get would be so great! In a rescue, they wouldn't get anything near the exposure. Then add the Pet Finder page and wow, sounds like a perfect solution.

I'm still waiting for answers to my questions from Mike about the girls. I haven't seen them in years - with my illness and poor Gini's, we never could get it together. I've asked him to have his daughter reply, as when they were here for the funeral she was able to gain their trust and bond with them. Which, I think is HUGE considering their world had and turned upside down and included strange visitors in their turf. That is promising!

Here are my questions to Mike:
    • Just basic info…ages, last vet visits, date of birth. etc.

• Do they have ANY health issues?

• How they act around strangers?

• How long does it take to warm up to people (if they do)? [Your daughters and Bill will know this.]

• Are they playful when engaged or if they prefer sleeping/to be left alone?

• If they are gentle or not.

• Where do they sleep (with a person or on their own)?

• If they tend to prefer to be around people or just do their own thing.

• Are they 'lap cats'? (Ask Bill if he saw them on/around Gini often.)

• Are they good about using their litter box regularly?

• Do they try to sneak outside?

• Do they have any exposure to other animals (if so, what types and how did they do?)?

• How are they around kids? (What ages?)

• Could you get a collar on them? (This helps to know if they are open to doing what humans want them to do - and is important if they like to go outside.)

As soon as I get these (long awaited) answers, I'll post them here. Thanks again, everyone. It helps to have someone else shoulder the 'burden' with us.
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Kelly, I have looked for info that Gini shared with me about her cats. In this e-mail, she still had Rascal. It was at the time she slept in the front room and let her brother have her bed.

"Every single night I have to share the sofa with three cats. They wait until I fall asleep and then curl up around my legs. I wake up completely stiff - but of course, that wouldn't make me shoo them off the couch - god forbid I should inconvenice them - ha ha."

So it seems Annie and Emma would also sleep with her. They may not want to with a new person, but you never know.

Are you in touch with any of her nieces?

Oh, and please update about funds to help them. I would prefer to send to someone I know.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.