• Avoid the mall areas at all cost!

13 61.90%
  • None of the above!

3 14.29%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Day after Thanksgiving

The Day after Thanksgiving

I refuse to call it "Black Friday" as that term has just gotten out of control! It isn't like anyone who is "black" gets extra discounts or all black clothing is on extra special sale or anything!

Anyway, just curious about what other people do the day after Thanksgiving. Do you have to go to work? Do you shop the sales starting in the wee hours of the morning? Do you spend the day cleaning up after yesterday's celebrations and enjoying the leftovers?

What is your tradition? Just curious!

As for us, since I stopped working for a weekly newspaper that meant this day was the craziest of the year, I don;t have any set plans, but generally avoid the shopping crush, and usually end up delivering "leftover" pumpkin cookies to a friend's family, either today or tomorrow.

I saw somewhere folks have tried to start naming "Brown Thursday" which is of course not necessary, as it is called Thanksgiving, folks! That's the reason for the holiday, not shopping!
    I've Been Frosted

Just a normal, retired, Friday. Had some of yesterday's leftovers for lunch.

The past few years I've been off from work the day after Thanksgiving. I've slept late and then done household chores, laundry, that sort of thing. And clean up from Thanksgiving, take the leaves out of the table, put away the folding chairs. I don't like to go shopping. I heard on the radio about a town in Rhode Island that encourages its residents to not spend any money that day, but to use it as a time to help others. Packing up items for your favorite charity, helping an elderly or disabled person with tasks, taking the focus off of "commercialness". I like that idea a lot.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Blog Entries
    Ya , the term black Friday has always weirded me out as well Sounds like a nuclear Holocaust or the sun finally burned itself out. Seems like everyone is shoppin' early this year though. Now boxing day sales, I can kinda dig. If I can wake up, haven't done one yet. Never wake up soon enough and sounds a tad hairy

Blog Entries
    Oh yes, and I'm Canadian so we had Thanksgiving already. I agree, It's about family, great food and most of all counting our blessings. That's only my measly opinion but works for me and mine thus far

I actually went "Black" Friday shopping for the first time in years, and then headed to the bar. My town is smaller so it wasn't really all that different than a normal day. I just don't get how you can spend one day being "Thankful" and then nearly killing another human over a television for $50. Seem hypocritical to me. I actually did buy a set of nice headphones that was normally $22 for $10, but I wouldn't call that worth kill anyone over.

Today, I had work which wasn't busy at all I presume as everyone was hitting the mall :P, I was playing with reptiles and turtles all day. I also have work again tomorrow, and afterwards am going to see Catching Fire again. Tonight is Round 2..oh boy I love celebrating the holidays as an "Adult"

Quote Originally Posted by mon View Post
    Oh yes, and I'm Canadian so we had Thanksgiving already. I agree, It's about family, great food and most of all counting our blessings. That's only my measly opinion but works for me and mine thus far
    U.S. Thanksgiving used to be about those things, too, but that all seems to have gone by the board.

A true Canadian response to Black Friday, as reported by Tom Allen on CBC Radio's "Shift" today:
    Someone proposed changing Black Friday to Black Fly Day, because when he hears about all the shoppers he thinks of swarms of flies!

Meanwhile, on the local (Windsor, ON) news: You don't need to cross the border [to Detroit] to take advantage of Black Friday sales this year! Several stores in Windsor opened early today with Black Friday sales!
    Last edited by phesina; 11-30-2013 at 06:03 PM.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I'm sure you do know why it is called "Black" Friday -- because for most businesses, this is the first day of the calendar year which they are "in the black," an accounting term. All the money they have made thus far is allocated to income tax, real estate tax, wages, and other costs and expenses. So they are 'in the red" up to this point.

I haven't needed to do Christmas shopping in several years now, so I don't have anything to shop for at all. I did go just up the road, Dunkin Donuts always has their one pound bags of coffee on a good sale deal on this day, and Walgreens (across from DD, for me) had a 25% off regular priced items, I needed stuff for Dad at the nursing home. That coupon saved me a bit over $12!!! All stuff I was going to have to buy anyway. I was out and back in 20 minutes, didn't even reach the first traffic light.

I took the pups to Bridgham Farm for their walkies, they had a blast!

I avoid shopping areas at all costs!!! Just stay home as usual and see what everyone on Pet Talk is doing!!!
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

No shopping for me. I've done it once and that was enough.
    Today I helped my mom set up and decorate her tree. Now we are home, I put some laundry in and I'm taking Zoee to the vet in 5 minutes. I think she has an ear infection.
    I'm so excited that I have 2 more days off. Volunteering at the shelter tomorrow, and relaxing on Sunday. Nice!!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I slept in. I helped my friend clean up her dinner the night before. I then played on the computer, did a little bit of necessary shopping, and came home. Slept in today, too. The weekend is not long enough.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

I chose 2 - started Christmas Cards and went nowhere near the mall. I have better things to do with my time and money than spend either on that day.

Today, I spent some time and $$$ shopping at small, local business'.

I read in the Providence Journal that the stores in Rhode Island CANNOT open for shopping on Thanksgiving - it's against the law. The last vestige of the original Blue Laws once so prevalent in New England.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    I chose 2 - started Christmas Cards and went nowhere near the mall. I have better things to do with my time and money than spend either on that day.

Today, I spent some time and $$$ shopping at small, local business'.

I read in the Providence Journal that the stores in Rhode Island CANNOT open for shopping on Thanksgiving - it's against the law. The last vestige of the original Blue Laws once so prevalent in New England.
    Massachusetts is the same way - stores cannot open on Thanksgiving, and I think Maine may be the same way - our newspaper circulars came with asterisks, all the ads that said "Shop Thursday" had asterisk and then stated the different rules and opening days/hours for New England stores by state.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Freckles View Post
    Just a normal, retired, Friday. Had some of yesterday's leftovers for lunch.
    Ditto for me. Didn't even cook on Thanksgiving, went to a friends home so I lucked out

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."

Bumping up this thread from last year, because I heard on the news that Macy's will open at 6 PM on Thanksgiving Day and remain open until at least 10 PM on "black Friday". I think I'll probably be working on that Friday; I'm not shopping (whether I have to work or not) and I am absolutely not shopping for gifts on Thanksgiving Day.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678