Thread: Dog getting fixed

Dog getting fixed

Hello everyone! I have a 2 year old bulldog and am wondering if getting it fixed would be a bad decision on my part. My dog is the only thing i really care about as for i am not in a relationship and have no kids. I feel that if i get him fixed he will shun me forever and never talk to me again. Also, I would hate for myself to be fixed so i feel that i shouldnt have him fixed. Yet, he goes around and humps everything, even my neighbors when they stop by...WHAT DO I DO?!?!?!?

You should absolutely get him fixed. He will not hate you for it, or resent it one bit. In fact life will be more pleasant for you both! He will not shun you, I promise!
    I've Been Frosted

I got my dog fixed and he was calm and happy and he never blamed me for it! Definitely do it! It should make him much easier to live with!
    Owned by my baby and heart-dog Lolli.

If each pet we love takes a part of our heart and replaces it with a part of theirs, my heart is a very strange collection of pieces, but I wouldn't have it any other way

Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go, and then do it. --Ann Landers

If anything, remember that he can't get testicular cancer if he doesn't have them. It will save you the heartache and cost of treating that and save him from getting it.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

Blog Entries

Asia

Hello, I have a question. I know nothing about dogs but my Aunty and I were just talking and she has a dog named Asia. She is a lovely dog. I have babysat her on occasion. She is a 14 yr. old border collie mix. The skin is peeing off her armpits. Her skin and her hair are falling out, also her groin area. Vet sez she has no cancer. Well the vet doesn't know so what' s this about. Anyone. Is it simply old age or what

Quote Originally Posted by mon View Post
    Hello, I have a question. I know nothing about dogs but my Aunty and I were just talking and she has a dog named Asia. She is a lovely dog. I have babysat her on occasion. She is a 14 yr. old border collie mix. The skin is peeing off her armpits. Her skin and her hair are falling out, also her groin area. Vet sez she has no cancer. Well the vet doesn't know so what' s this about. Anyone. Is it simply old age or what
    It sounds like it could be any number of problems, has the vet done bloodwork? Various things like kidney or liver trouble or hormone imbalances can cause these symptoms.
    I've Been Frosted

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    It sounds like it could be any number of problems, has the vet done bloodwork? Various things like kidney or liver trouble or hormone imbalances can cause these symptoms.
    I will certainly ask her. I would hope the vet did bloodwork for goodness sake. It's not like they're broke, maybe they just have a lousy vet?

Quote Originally Posted by mon View Post
    I will certainly ask her. I would hope the vet did bloodwork for goodness sake. It's not like they're broke, maybe they just have a lousy vet?
    Yeah, if the vet didn't do any bloodwork, they should definitely try a different veterinarian!
    I've Been Frosted

In answer to DogLover666, getting your dog fixed definitely seems like the best option. He certainly won't shun you for it! Whilst there is always of course a degree of risk when putting an animal under anaesthetic, the procedure is very minor and he will heal in a very short period of time. Neutering him may not fix the humping behaviour, although in many cases it does, but as already mentioned it will protect him from most of the cancers associated with the reproductive tract.

Also, as your dog is a bulldog (and I assume we are talking a British bulldog here), I think there's even more reason to have him fixed. If he should ever escape and mate with the first entire female he finds, her pups are possibly going to inherit bulldog traits, such as a big head and short nose. If your bulldog isn't of the 'old' type, with longer legs and nose, then his traits are not really something to be reproducing on the basis of animal welfare. This is of course not withstanding the fact that another litter of unplanned, probably unwanted puppies would be brought into the world.

Best of luck with him.

In answer to Mon, Karen is right - there are a multitude of causes for hair loss and peeling skin in older dogs! The problem could be external, such as a parasite, allergic dermatitis or skin infection, although if the hair loss if mostly around her armpits and groin, to me this suggests more of an internal problem. All of her hair will likely be thinning, but as she moves around in her daily life, the armpit and groin are areas of high friction, so the hair loss is most evident there first. Cushing's disease is right up there on the list of differentials and the vet should certainly have taken bloods to check that out. As she's an older dog, she's unfortunately more likely to have a problem with her adrenal glands than a young dog. I hope they can persevere with their vet to get to the bottom of this problem, else as Karen says, it's time for a new vet!!

Zimbabwe 07/13