Thread: I'm not shopping on Thanksgiving evening

I'm not shopping on Thanksgiving evening

A surprising number of stores are going to be opening for business around 7 or 8 PM on Thanksgiving Day. Our local Wal-Mart is open 24x7, so Thanksgiving is a regular business day for them. But Kohl's, Walgreens, Macy's, Sears and probably a lot more will be open on Thanksgiving Day. I read in the paper that Von Maur, Nordstrom, Cabela's and Menards will all be closed. I'm not going shopping on the evening of Thanksgiving Day and I'm 99% sure I'm not going on Black Friday either. IKEA has their Expedit shelving unit on sale on Friday only, half off. That could get me into the store. I could stop on my way home from work. Plus, I really like the coffee they sell at their snack bar. And their Christmas decorations are different from the ones I can buy everywhere else. But if it weren't for half off Expedit, I would go another day.

I went to Wal-Mart 2 years ago on the evening of Thanksgiving. My next door neighbor's 3 year old son had the stomach flu and she didn't want to take him out. She asked if I could get them some Tylenol and Pedialyte. I went to Wal-Mart because everything else was closed. It was organized chaos with parts of the store roped off, people waiting in line in the different departments for the early morning Black Friday sales, and employees setting up displays. I just picked up the few things I needed and scooted out of there.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I will not be shopping on Thanksgiving, refuse to do so, although I may bring a few cookies to the old guy who works at the local gas station where I get my coupons on Sundays, as I know he'll be there. At least it makes sense for a gas station right off the highway to be open. It is always interesting to see what is open when we drive by. One niece is thankful, she's an assistant manager for a Wal*Mart, but the town it is in does not permit them to be open on Thanksgiving at all, and they cannot open at midnight, either, just a couple hours earlier than normal on Friday.
    I've Been Frosted

What a civilized town your niece lives in, Karen! (Which is it?)

Not allowing the store to open on Thanksgiving or even at midnight at its end? How un-American!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Almost everyone I know will be with their families on Thanksgiving. Makes me wonder, who will be shopping? Will the stores that are open around here on Thanksgiving evening be busy? For me it is a day for church and family.

Forget IKEA. I'd have to figure out how to put the Expedit unit together anyway and I'm not patient with tasks like that.

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

I will not shop on Thanksgiving day/night or the day after. Shoot, I won't shop that entire weekend!!! Oh wait, maybe that's because I don't like shopping anyway!
    To get my Xmas shopping done, I will go on my lunch each day at work. Then I will have company (co-worker friends). Plus, I am only one freeway exit away from an outlet center. NICE!
    Our office is moving after the new year..............right next to a MALL!! UGH, I wish I enjoyed shopping.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I was tempted yesterday after I saw the Black Friday flyers from the newspaper. Target had a Nook for $79, marked down from $129 - but it was a "while they last, no rain checks" special. I thought about it while we were clearing up, though. They bought a laptop but he doesn't use it and my mom doesn't either- he uses the desktop. They need a new desktop PC because theirs is old and slow. So I think I made the right choice to hold off on the Nook for now.

I do have to pick up a prescription at the drug store today, but apart from that I'm not shopping. I need to make a list first and figure out who I'm shopping for.