Thread: The 1930's

The 1930's

When you think of the time period of the 1930's in the US, do you think glamour and romance? Do you think of Bonnie and Clyde as romantic figures?

On Project runway this week, they had a challenge based on "the glamour and romance" of the 1930s.

Frankly, I think Dust Bowl, Great Depression, poverty, and dark, dusty, grim survival. And never saw Bonnie and Clyde as "fun" but as criminals, maybe psychopathic ones, and unsavory individuals.

Am I skewed, do others think of them as glamorous? Or romantic? How about that time period?
    I've Been Frosted

I think there was some "glamour", mainly as an escape from what was going on, people idolizing movie stars, the idea of beautiful women and handsome men and happily ever after. A few hours where one could dream of an ideal life - somewhere unattainable. The "Hollywood" thing. But then of course, I wasn't there LOL.

I took a history class in college on the 1930s. I think there was some glamour to it with Amelia Earhart, movies with sound and color, and even organized crime. But I agree with Karen, it was the time of the Depression and the Dust Bowl. I read a book called "In the Garden of Beasts" about the American ambassador to Germany in the late 1930s, which was during the rise of the Nazi party. It talks about how he communicated with the government in Washington as he became more and more aware of what was going on. But Washington didn't (or wouldn't) listen, so he ultimately packed up his family and came home. It's by Erik Larson, who also wrote "Devil in the White City".
    Last edited by cassiesmom; 11-24-2013 at 05:28 AM.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Let's see....

Herr Schickelgruber's rise to power, Mussolini, Japanese incursions into China, the Panay, the Great Depression, the Spanish civil war, the absolute mess of European colonial rule in Africa, various and sundry brushfires around the world in the prelude to full on war in World War 2......not a whole lot I can call "romantic" in that decade.

Bonnie and Clyde were only one of many criminals in the 1930s who attained pop culture status, mainly due to the "taking to the man" descriptions of their actions.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

I was born 1934, so that's one good thing!

I don't think Bonnie and Clyde were anything romantic, to me they were murderers and nothing else. They deserved what they got when they were shot down.

I don't know much at all about the 30's, I don't think many of us were around at that time.

Name:  November.gif
Views: 61
Size:  21.3 KB

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."

Quote Originally Posted by Freckles View Post
    I was born 1934, so that's one good thing!
    Yes it is!

I was not alive for them, I was just going from history and impressions I have gathered from books, movies and stories from elders!
    I've Been Frosted

IMO the 1930s was a time of collective insanity for humans, leading up to World War II. The only good things to come out of them were my parents and The Wizard of Oz...
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb