Thread: Chopper Alvarez - Yorkie with bilateral inguinal hernias

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.

Chopper Alvarez - Yorkie with bilateral inguinal hernias

Please help me get the word out on this precious little boy.

IMOM.org is raising funds to help this boy get life-saving surgery. Please crosspost and include links on your social media sites -- and of course, if you can afford to donate, please do so. Chopper's fundraising page is here: http://www.imom.org/community/index.php?showtopic=9912

Diagnosis: Bilateral Inguinal Hernias
    Low end of estimate: $1730
    Owner’s Contribution: $272
    Needed for low end of estimate: $1458
    4% of $300 for IMOM operating expenses: $59
    Fundraising goal: $1517
    Neutered: Yes
    Caseworker: Dawn

**Fund Update: Chopper has $357 in donations and needs $1,160 more as of 4:30 p.m. EST - 11/10/13**

His Mom is a school teacher in Florida. Here's what she has to say about her baby boy.

Chopper is the love of my life. Yorkie with attitude... let me share a short story of how i got Chopper, his tenatious personality and the issues we face together...

My friend calls me while I’m at dinner telling me that an old man was getting rid of a dog. A free dog. Not only a free dog, but a free Yorkie. I’m talking an expensive dog, for FREE! So I bit the bait, I went and saw the dog. And the rest is history. He grabbed my heart the moment I saw him. To this day I don’t know why that old man got rid of him… oh yea… hes CRAZY!! Chopper does not like:

· When the doorbell rings

· When the phone vibrates

· When candles are blown out

· When the doorbell on tv rings

· When people stand near his food

· When dogs stand near his food

· To be woken up

· To go for walks at night

· When basketballs are dribbled

· When people suddenly stand up

· When people crawl or lay on the floor

· When people look under the bed

· To get haircuts

· To get baths

· To get dried off

· To get his nails cut

· To be moved in the middle of the night

· To be left on the floor

· To be left on the bed

· To be ignored

If anyone were to try these actions they may be met by relentless barking and/or ankle/lip/knee biting. So some often ask why do you put up with Chopper? Have you seen him? Not to mention outside of all his weird temperaments, he is the sweetest thing. He is my little security guard, keeping order in the house at all times. He is what I was missing as a child. This is an endless love that can never be replaced or matched by any other animal. He has brought me on roller coasters, and worries me often; but in the end of the day I know exactly how he is feeling and pretty much exactly what he wants.

What’s wrong with Chopper?

Chopper potentially has a Bilateral Inguinal Hernia. That means he has two holes on either side of his abdomen. What makes this situation of extreme importance is that his intestine is possibly strangulated. You may be asking why is everything “potentially” and “possibly”? to confirm what is wrong chopper needs an ultrasound, this is very expensive. Followed by surgery, if confirmed, that has been estimated at around $3700-$4700. I have found other Vets who can do the procedure for less, however they are not as familiar with Choppers situation.

Why can’t I pay myself?

I am a new teacher in sunny south Florida. I don’t know if you have heard, but teachers don’t get paid that much. NOT THAT I’M COMPLAINING… but it’s true. I teach for the outcome, not the income. This however does present a problem when your dog needs a surgery that is 2 solid months’ pay. Even with proper budgeting this would a near impossible task to accomplish on my own. I have applied for credit cards, only to be denied. Now I am reaching out to the community, for any assistance.

Always,
    Felicia and Chopper

Here are some photos of the adorable Chopper.

Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

I've issued a Matching Challenge in Chopper's thread on IMOM. I will donate $1 for every $1 you donate.

Please spread the word.

If you are able to help, please go to http://tinyurl.com/79og6jd to make a donation – note for Chopper Alvarez.
    If you prefer, you may also make a direct donation via PayPal by specifying [email protected] as the recipient. Don't forget to indicate Chopper’s name when making your donation.

Thank you for your support of this cute and spunky little boy.

Chopper's hernia.

Poor little pup! Hope folks can help him!
    I've Been Frosted

Chopper reminds me of Benjie, from the movies, in this photo.

Keep spreading the word -- it's working.

**Fund Update: Chopper has $717 in donations and needs $800 more as of 9:50 a.m. EST - 11/12/13**

Please keep cross-posting.

Fund Update: Chopper has $817 in donations and needs $700 more.

Angels, thank you so much for your generous donations. I know we are all very worried about Chopper. The vet says it appears that the loops of his intestines are caught inside on the right side hernia -- this can quickly lead to necrotic tissue which is very, very serious.

Chopper's surgery can be scheduled as soon as funds are available. Can we get Chopper to All Funds Raised soon?

If you can make a donation of any size, please go to http://tinyurl.com/79og6jd. Please note that your gift is for Chopper Alvarez. You can also use PayPal to donate by specifying [email protected] as the recipient. Don't forget to note that it's for Chopper.

No amount is too small -- every bit really does make a difference. Thank you for your kindness!

I tweeted about it ...
    I've Been Frosted

Thanks Karen. Your tweet must have been the one to get Chopper to All Funds Raised. I'm happy to report:

I am so happy to announce that Chopper Alvarez is at ALL FUNDS RAISED!!!!! Thank you so much Angels!!

IMOM talked to Chopper's vet a few minutes ago, and she is willing to take the $1,104 we have secured already for Chopper's surgery ($832 from IMOM (your donations!) and $272 from Chopper's Mom), and they can get Chopper in for surgery tomorrow!

This thread is moving to All Funds Raised - please follow up and check in on this adorable pup!

Thank you for all of your support - you are the BEST!!!
    BTW ~ Dancing bananas is an icon IMOM uses when there is good news. In memory of a kitty named Teddy and her favorite toy.

Yay! Glad to be able to help!
    I've Been Frosted

Chopper is at the vet now. Surgery will take place today. Not sure of the time.
    You can follow his progress here: http://www.imom.org/community/index.php?showtopic=9912

Thank you for spreading the word and donating. Don't forget about IMOM.org if your pet has a life-threatening condition and you need help raising the funds.

Chopper's surgery was postponed until today. Poor little guy had to spend the night at the vet. But, today's the day!

Update from Chopper's Mom:

He got out about 30-45 minutes ago. Very drowsy His intestines were healthy enough to be saved and none of it had to be removed!!! Chopper had one testicle on the left side, the same side as the hernia, and it was removed as well... I guess the other was done as a puppy? The fat on the right was cut and removed. Both hernias are closed!!! He will need to be walked frequently and have limited exercise. He may even have to sit in the box for a few days but... HE COMES HOME TOMORROW!!! He is going to be a healthy little man for a few more years!!! Thank you so much IMOM! THANK YOU ANGELS! Without you... This wasn't possible. I am truly grateful!!

Yay! Thanks for letting us know!
    I've Been Frosted