Thread: Brain tumor in dogs

Hybrid View

Brain tumor in dogs

Does anyone have any experience with brain tumors in dogs? Beenie had 2 seizures yesterday. Given her age, the vet is pretty sure she has a brain tumor. This is especially heartbreaking since she just had her 10th birthday less than a week ago. We are in shock. She had been acting abnormally for the last few months now but we thought it was due to stress from moving.

Oh, how scary! No experience here with that, just wanted to say you will be in our prayers! I know that Boston Terriers and bulldogs are more susceptible to brain tumors for some reason, likely genetic. I hope Beenie's is treatable, poor gal!
    I've Been Frosted

Oh my! I have no experience, can only suggest using Google to check for info, treatment and ideas.

Prayers from RI for Beenie and Beenie's Mom.

I am so sorry Carm. Our akita Shadow had seizures. His was from a tumor. He had head trauma from when he was a puppy. His first owner was a little man (both is stature and character) and when Shadow became too strong for him to handle (he didn't bother to try obedience training) he would punch him in the head. It started out as swelling but later in life a tumor formed from the trauma. He was treated with meds to help control the seizures but not sure what they were as that was quite a few years ago. We didn't find out until he passed that he had the tumor but the vet said it was large and looked like it was a slow growing tumor he had for some time. Shadow never went to our regular vet as he was terrified of cars and would basically have a panic attack if he even was made to sit in one while turned off. He was start shaking and hyperventilating and our regular vet was nearly an hour away by car. He went to one close to the house where we could walk him. I am 100% convinced had he been going to Dr. D (our regular vet) Dr. D would have found the tumor in time to be able to treat it.

That is my experience with it. Unfortunately it isn't very helpful. I hope you can nail down the trouble and get Beenie on something that will help her asap. Keep us posted. Big hugs to you and belly rubs for sweet Beenie.

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

Carmen, I did think of something to add - Miss Hoppy was a bunny, of course, not a dog, but when she was diagnosed with her tumor (in her chest, not her brain) she was too old for surgery to be an option. But they did shrink the tumor itself with radiation, and the effects of it disappeared, and she was back to her old self for another about a year before she passed away at age 11, which is pretty old for a bunny.
    I've Been Frosted

Brain tumors appear to be more common in dogs than other pets. Dogs older than five years are more susceptible, and some breeds of dogs seem to be at higher risk than others.