It started last night as rain here, and now there are big winds across much of the northeast and mid-Atlantic states. Stay safe, everyone! I was running errands and took a side street just to take a few fall pictures for a friend in the southwest US who never gets to see fall colors like we do, and a tree had come down across the road. I put on my flashers and pulled over, and started clearing the broken large branches that I could from the street, and another woman pulled up going the other way, and together we managed to move some of it, but the tree itself, the based was probably 8 inches in diameter where it broke, was too heavy, and stuck on a low fence, but too thick for us to break. A guy pulled up who had a chainsaw in his truck, but sadly couldn't get it to start, so, with a couple other cars stopped and waiting, he and I were able to move things enough so one lane at least was clear.

We were all fortunate in that it had come down when no cars were in the way, and I thought it was emblematic of the goof New England spirit that we all just pitched in to clear the road, rather than beeping or calling 911 and getting angry! And the drivers who happened to be 4th and 5th on the scene actually thanked us when we were back in our cars! (I did call the town police once I got home, so they could send someone with a functional chainsaw to finish the job!)

One of my fellow radio folks in Ohio lost power for over a day in this storm, too!

Stay safe everyone!