Thread: Said goodby to Sparkle today

Hybrid View

Said goodby to Sparkle today

Sparkle, my Sweet Stuff, cat of my heart, the second cat and second pet I ever owned as an adult, left me for Rainbow Bridge earlier today. She was 18 years, and spent all but her first 4 months living with me.

Sparkle was born at the city animal control. Her mom and siblings were adopted out, and there she languished. Sparkle was showing signs of kennel depression and was scheduled for euthanasia the next time the vet came through -- the vet for the shelter being the vet I use. At that time I had one cat (no dogs) and as I was working, he was getting a bit pudgy and needed someone to keep him moving. Sparkle did all that, keeping Amber on the move as she taunted and teased him then raced through my apartment and hid under the dresser - a place a wee 4 month old gal could easily fit, but a pudgy 2 year old male could not.

Sparkle brought birds in to my apartment and released them, on three occassions. I eventually removed the bird feeder I had hanging on the balcony from my third floor walk up, as she was clearly too quick!

I knew Sparkle was a special kitty, she would greet visitors rather than run and hide, as most cats do when a stranger appears. I took her to classes, and she was certified as a Pet Assisted Therapy Cat. For 2 years, we visited local nursing homes, with Sparkle loving every minute of it, being petted and told what a pretty girl she was. We had many special times, like the woman who, at the young age of 53, was injured in a car accident and paralyzed from the neck down. She loved having Sparkle lay on the bed next to her, and could feel the purrs through her body. Then there was the elderly woman who was so upset her family placed her in a nursing home that she refused to speak. She'd been there 2 weeks when we stopped by and I placed Sparkle in her lap. Soon, she was whispering in Sparkle's ear, telling all her sorrows, and stroking Sparkle who of course loved every minute of it and cuddled closer. Sparkle never shared that woman's secrets, but that was the end of her self-imposed silence.

When Vita joined our family, she and Sparkle quickly became cuddle buddies, and I have numerous photos of them snuggled together napping in a pet bed.

And when I brought in a small 6 week old kitten whom I named Chestnut, Sparkle took him under her wing and taught him everything she knew - good and mischievous! He was a good student and the 2 of them proceeded to keep Amber and I on our toes for years.

Dad moved in and Sparkle took to sleeping with him in the spare bedroom of my apartment, we all lived for 2 years prior to buying this house.

A house and a back yard, all her own! Sparkle was sure this was heaven. She took to it and spent hours in the back yard when Dad or I were out working the garden, nibbling catnip and sleeping off her 'buzz' afterwards.

Time passed quickly. Dogs joined our family. Sparkle never took any guff from any of them, merely sitting and slitting her eyes, making it clear she was NOT one to mess with. Each and every bichon who came through here, even the transports, quickly learned to steer clear of Sparkle. She ruled!

Kidney failure is common in cats, and a cruel disease, which slowly progresses. Sparkle was diagnosed in the early stages of the disease in September, 2009. Having been through this several times already (Amber, Vita and Ruffles all had this), I knew what to do and took steps immediately to change her diet. That is why she was able to be with me for so long after diagnosis.

Sadly, nothing can stop the progress of the disease. I was away at Dad's house for 72 hours and on my return it was clear something -- some cat -- was quite ill. I knew in my heart it had to be my Sparkly - warkly, but I walked through the house checking. (When I return from a trip, I leave the dogs in the car while I get things sorted out inside the house first). Yes, it was my dear Sweet Stuff who was so ill. And this morning, I took her in one last time to see our favorite vet. Sparkle was tired, it was time, and things moved quickly to the end.

Run free at Rainbow Bridge, Sparkle! I know you will find Amber and continue to tease him until we meet again -- One Fine Day.

Sandie, I am so sorry you lost this very special girl. Sparkle was blessed to have you - you did the right thing to extend her life, and then made the heartbreaking decision to help her be at peace.

hugs
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

I'm so sorry you are going through this again-hopefully Sparkle and Tony will run together at the bridge.
    She had a happy life and was so loved, it was time and you did the right thing by her.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Play now up at the Rainbow Bridge, Sparkle, restored to the healthy kitty again! But do take a moment to send your momma some purrs in her dreams, so she knows you arrived safely, and all is well.

Sandi, our condolences.
    I've Been Frosted

Your tribute was beautifully written and brought me to tears. Sparkle seems like such a special kitty. My sincerest condolences to you, Sandie. ((Hugs)) from across these many miles.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

I am so sorry to hear this. R.I.P Sparkle!
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

I am so sorry for your loss of Sparkle. She had a great time with you and the fluffies and furrles. RIP girl, you earned it!
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

I am sorry for your loss. Your tribute to Sparkle was great.

That was a beautiful tribute to a beautiful girl. I am sure she is sending you purrs down from The Bridge. R.I.P. Special Kitty Girl.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Godspeed sweet kitty.....
    Diane
    Central Coast CA
    "Cats happen......"

Oh, Sandie, I am so very sorry. What a lovely, wonderful tribute to dear, beloved Sparkle you have written there! It makes me feel as though I know her. And what a wonderful, long life she had with you, rescued from execution at an early age to become a cherished family member, friend and sometimes mentor to the other kitties and the doggies, dedicated visitor to nursing homes who made contact with and gave love to patients no one else could reach. My very deepest sympathy to you and Dad and all the fur babies.

Dearest Sparkly-Warkly, rest in peace, a glorious Angel now, whole and healthy again at the Rainbow Bridge with so many other beloved angel friends. Please send some purrs down to the hearts of Sandie and Dad to reassure them that you are with them always and you will all be together again.. One Fine Day.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery