Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please keep Ashes in your thoughts and prayers

Please keep Ashes in your thoughts and prayers

I know it has been a long time since I was last here but I have been busy. But tonight I come in with some bad news. Ashes is not doing well. Ashes is our male 12 year old cat who have had urinary tract issues in the past, however he is now having litterbox issues and the last couple of days he has been hiding a lot. We found him and got him out of the hiding place and noticed he was walking funny. We figured he might have gotten hurt, but while I was petting him in my room I felt a lump on his back. It could be a bulging disk, it could be cancer/tumor, or it could be a cyst. This could explain his behavior. I will be taking him in tomorrow hopefully to see what the vet says and if its treatable, then we will see about treatment, but if not, we will be putting him down.

He is our cat, but mainly he is my brother's cat. My brother is at school (he does not have an account here) and does not know how dire Ashes's situation is. He won't be taking the news good at all.
    Name:  Ashes.jpg
Views: 76
Size:  9.6 KB Ashes a couple of years ago.
    In loving memory of Tigger 2003-2009. In loving memory of Ashes 2001-2013.

I hope Ashes' problem can be treated.

Many years ago I felt a lump on my cat's lower back. I totally panicked and took him to the vet.

Turns out it was a scratch from a cat fight that had become infected - that lump was full of...well, anyway...

I pray that things go well for Ashes.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Prayers for Ashes that this can be treated and fixed up, and for you too.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Sending lots of prayers and positive thoughts to Ashes, you and your brother.
    Nancy

All things work together for good to them that love God.
    (Romans 8:28)

I've been defrosted-- Thanks, Sana

Ashes says hi and we both say thanks for the prayers. He is currently hanging out in my brother's room and chilling. We are keeping him separated from the other cats so he can rest and not be disturbed by the other cats. If we can't get him in today we are hoping real soon. Alison is giving me looks like where is my half brother. The others are ok for now but I think although Alison doesn't like to admit it, she is missing her half brother. But I don't want to risk them attacking him while he is in this condition.

Awww, you and he will be in our prayers for sure!
    I've Been Frosted

My mom thinks that his kidneys are on the way out. If that is the case, Ashes won't have long. He have not ate or drank all day. I am starting to get real worried.

I hope you can get him to the vet soon. Do you have a baby syringe that you can use to get some water into him?

If it IS his kidneys, and it's in earlier stages, a diet change can give Ashes more time.

{{{hugs}}}

He has drank some water on his own today and so far no eating. My brother is looking into donating plasma to help him. He just recently had to rebuild his computer and if Ashes only gotten sick like this a few days ago, my brother would have had the money. I want to take him to a vet with care credit but my mom still has bad feelings for the emergency vets for what happened to Tigger and would rather not take Ashes there even though care credit is accepted there. Still holding onto hope that Ashes could pull through this, however planning on the worst.

He is on a special diet for his urinary tract so if he makes it for next week we will see about changing it again.

Update: My mom found a second lump. Looks like its cancer and my mom seems to think it may be leukemia from the cat we are trying to rehome. If that is the case then we need to test Oreo as well if this is cancer and if so, what type.

We did take in a fourth cat named Oreo a couple of months ago to help a friend out so that he wouldn't be beaten up by the other cats and am looking to rehome him.
    Last edited by DriftyAlison0; 10-29-2013 at 10:30 PM.

Sweetie - if he is not eating, he could get fatty liver disease and that is fatal. If the vet will take care credit, please ask your mom again. By the time your brother finds out about donating plasma - bless him for trying - it could be too late for Ashes.

Please take him now, while he still maybe has a chance. Give the vet another chance - it may even be a different person - and give Ashes a chance too.

I will keep trying. She needs to get her head around the fact that he needs to see a vet now and at least get a diagnosis. I don't want Oreo to get the blame if it wasn't him.

Perhaps she might call the vet and describe the symptoms to the tech? Then they can tell her what they think. Good luck!

Found another animal hospital that accepts care credit and we will aim for there.

Great! Wishing Ashes all the best!

Great! We are sending along prayers and loving warm wishes and healing energies for dear Ash.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery