Thread: Happy Stories

Happy Stories

Hi everyone,

I'm currently working as a writer and I had an idea for a book that requires a little help.

I would like to put together a book with happy dog stories. Rescues that were saved from death row and found their forever homes, dogs that beat insurmountable odds against illness, dogs that helped to bring people back from serious illness or suicide...etc.

I have a couple of questions for you, the good people of PetTalk.
    1. Do you know a dog who would fit into a book like this?
    2. If I were to put together a self-published book with 50 or so stories that all have happy endings, and the proceeds benefit an animal organization somewhere (I haven't chosen one yet) do you think it would be something people would buy for .99 to $3?
    3. Would people be willing to submit their stories and pictures if given full credit for their submission?

So, what do you think? Good idea, or a bust? I just figure that with all the negativity in the world today, a little happiness might be just what the doctor ordered.

Thanks for the help!

I always love to read happy stories! I don't know that I have a story to contribute, but that is the kind of book I would buy!
    Owned by my baby and heart-dog Lolli.

If each pet we love takes a part of our heart and replaces it with a part of theirs, my heart is a very strange collection of pieces, but I wouldn't have it any other way

Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go, and then do it. --Ann Landers

Awesome. Thanks for the reply, lolli.

Quote Originally Posted by lolli94 View Post
    I always love to read happy stories! I don't know that I have a story to contribute, but that is the kind of book I would buy!

There are plenty of happy dog stories on our website, which of course has 15+ years of good dog stories! If you want to contact any of the owners, let me know!
    I've Been Frosted

Thanks Karen!

I was leaning toward making the book focus on nothing but "bully" breeds - Mastiffs, GSDs, Pitties, etc., but decided to open it up to every breed. There will be a section in the back for forums where people can get help with their dogs (PT of course will be on there) and shelter websites as well.

I am super excited to get this under way!

I buy books like that. Might even have a story if you need one.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Awesome, chocolatepuppy. I'll be ready for it soon. I'm getting a lot of positive responses from people on different forums, even though there seem to be quite a few books like this on the market today. I think this will be different because I want the owners to tell how their dog has touched his or her life and get the true meaning of what the pet means to them. I don't want to take that away from the people who need and want to tell their story.

I need to research different rescue organizations to find one to benefit from the proceeds and brush up on my self-publishing knowledge and then I'm ready to roll. woo!

I think it's a fantastic idea and it's great that you want to put a book like that on the market--- if everyone is like me I don't think you'll have trouble selling the book, I buy books with stories like that if I get lucky enough to land on one. Go for it, glad you decided to include all the breeds, there's a lot of sad and happy stories out there that include every breed.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Thanks for the input, Asiel.

Quote Originally Posted by Asiel View Post
    I think it's a fantastic idea and it's great that you want to put a book like that on the market--- if everyone is like me I don't think you'll have trouble selling the book, I buy books with stories like that if I get lucky enough to land on one. Go for it, glad you decided to include all the breeds, there's a lot of sad and happy stories out there that include every breed.