Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Very bad news for Oliver

So Oliver had his surgery yesterday. The tumour had not progressed into the bone, which is good. But it was located close to his back tooth (where the jaws join). They removed the tumour and a significant amount of soft tissue and bone, which have been sent out for biopsy. They rebuilt the area from the surrounding muscle. But because of where they took material from they put in a feeding tube in case he didn't eat. He is now home on a Fentanyl patch (strong narcotic). But he is following me around like a dog which is something he never does. I am trying to give him multiple small meals throughout the day because he is still learning how to eat. But he looks in really rough shape right now.

I might have bought another year, but we still need to go to the radiation oncologist to see if that would be a worthwhile treatment. Unfortunately chemotherapy doesn't do much for this type of cancer, so it is highly until likely that we will go that route.

I just hope that I made the right decision to go down this path...

Aww, hopefully he won't need additional radiation, and the borders of what they took are clear of cancer.
    I've Been Frosted

It sounds like the surgeons did a wonderful job with such an invasive surgery. Hopefully the biopsy results will indicate where to go on the radiation.

As a medical professional once told me, "I am the expert. You are the boss."

Hugs and prayers going out to you and dear Oliver.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Thank you. The surgeon feels they got clean edges unfortunately we think this is a particularly aggressive form of this type of cancer so they are not sure how much time we were able to get.

If you ever think twice about getting a dental cleaning because of the cost DON'T. We found this cancer only because he went in for a dental cleaning. Otherwise there would have been no signs or symptoms until it would have been too late to do anything.

Cheryl, I'm very sorry about Oliver's diagnosis, but I hope the treatment is a success. I lost my Jamara to this cancer. Prayers and {{{Hugs}}}to you both.
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Sounds like the surgery went very well, and we hope the radiation oncologist will have some promising ideas. Prayers and loving good wishes for dearest Oliver and you.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

You have bought you and Olive extra time together. That alone is worth it. Who knows? Maybe they got all of it and you will have precious Oliver with you for a long, long, time.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

I just hope you are right. I should be getting the biopsy results back this week.

Thoughts and prayers for Oliver & for you as well. I hope his healing goes well and he can enjoy his life for a long time yet.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I got the test results back. The edges of the biopsy were clean. The vet also took out lymph nodes on the same side and thankfully those also came back clean. Once he is healed up a little more I will take him to the radiation oncologist. Unfortunately chemotherapy does not work with this type of cancer, so my only choice is radiation.

Aww, but that's good edges were clean and so were the lymphs!Hope this is the last of the ordeal for him!
    I've Been Frosted

Sounds hopeful, even good. How is Oliver doing? Still following you like a puppy?

I hope he is healing from the surgery.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

That's good news!

We're sending along lots of love and prayers for dearest Oliver.

I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

OLiver is doing much better. We took the feeding tube out last week and he is now eating like he did before. But he certainly looks a little worse for wear with his neck and half his face shaved (and the reconstruction of his jaw). Even the vet who did the surgery and took out the stitches told me that Oliver was a special cat (and that is very true). He isn't following me around anymore, but he is definitely acting more like himself.

Given how agreesive the cancer was I doubt that we got is all. The most I can hope for is some additional time.