Thread: New dog has diarrhea.

New dog has diarrhea.

Hi everyone, I'm a former poster with a question. We adopted a dog on Saturday. Her name is Phoebe Buffay, she's a 1.5 year old American Bulldog. Over the weekend she didn't poop at all, then on Monday she finally had her first stool and it was normal. Yesterday was her first day alone in the house and she had diarrhea all over the kitchen. Last night we put her in her kennel to sleep and when we woke up the poor girl had pooped all over the kennel and had it all over herself! She went to the bathroom a little while ago and her stool is still really soft. She's on the same food, so I don't think that is an issue. I'm sure it's just all the stress of being in a new home. I'm hesistant to take her to the vet right now only because I worry about stressing her out even more. She has an appoinment for next week to get a checkup and UTD on her shots, however if I notice any other changes I will take her in ASAP. She is acting normal in every other way. I bought her some white rice and chicken breasts to boil for her dinner tonight. Is there anything else I should be doing for her?

Name:  phoebe.jpg
Views: 658
Size:  90.9 KB
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Congrats on the new pup! She's a cutie. I usually skip a meal if my dogs have diarrhea and let them get it all out of their system...then a lot of times I give them canned pumpkin (make sure it's the kind without spices), that usually works pretty well. I don't usually do chicken as chicken tends to cause that issue in my dogs but sometimes I do cook them rice. Usually though I just skip their next meal then give them a little bit of their regular food with pumpkin mixed in. It could definitely just be stress. Nebo has had issues with diarrhea a lot of times with no apparent reason, for years, I've cleaned up more than I'd like to mention. He does better on lamb based food than any other kind, chicken based food did not agree with him. You can also give her pepto bismal I like to get the tablets instead of the liquid it's easier to get them to take a pill the liquid usually just ends up all over.

Yup, plain plain food - chicken and rice, adding a little pumpkin in. Do that for a couple days, and see how it goes. Make sure she is drinking a lot so she doesn't get dehydrated.

Welcome to Pet Talk Phoebe Buffay!

And welcome back, Laura! We missed you!
    I've Been Frosted

Thanks guys! I had no idea pepto was safe for dogs. I'm reading up on it now, if her next stool is still loose I may give her half a tablet (she is around 60 lbs). She's been drinking water, but maybe I'll toss some ice cubes in there to get her to drink a little more.
    I've been Defrosted!

HI Laura long time no see. Congratulations on your new family member, she is very pretty. I hope her tummy settles very soon.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

Hi Laura- believe it or not just yesterday I was listening to the steel drum band CD you sent me years ago!

I have a dog, Jasper, that I have had for 3 years now. He is the absolute best dog in the world- except for his sensitive tummy. He gets horrible diarrhea for seemingly no reason from time to time. I do the 24 hour no food at all. But, Jasper is a fully developed dog. Not sure that is recommended for ALL dogs. The half food, "light" food, pumpkin, etc., simply isn't enough to do the trick for the J-dog. I also notice there is no change in his activity level...so, I don't suspect any underlying illness, either. And, vomiting never is involved. Just the massive runs.

After the 24 hours without food, I start with smaller meals. He is always recovered by then. Good luck.

Please reconsider giving Pepto Bismol for the diarrhea until you've tried fasting for a meal and feeding a bland diet first. No vet I work for has ever recommended it. There are other OTC meds if you really want to go that route, but Pepto Bismol is never one that they recommend to clients.

Pets can get stress diarrhea from... well, stressful conditions. A new household and routine can be stressful.

I know you say she has an appt next week for a vet checkup and vaccines. Has she had a stool checked prior to coming into your home? Intestinal parasites, mixed with a stressful situation, can absolutely cause diarrhea.

In any case, it wouldn't be a bad idea to perhaps drop a stool sample off at the vet before the appointment (tomorrow?) just so they can check it to see if there is anything going on. If she has anything, your other household pets may be at risk as well.

Or just call your vet with this question -- chances are likely they may be able to recommend home remedies/OTC meds to try for a day or two.

If you DO NOT see improvement in a day or two, regardless, I strongly recommend you bring her in for a vet appointment, as chronic diarrhea can lead to dehydration.

facebook

I would imagine its from stress -
    Stress plays havoc with our bodies
    I agree with everyone and she's gorgeous!! Don't be a stranger!!
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

I don't have any advice just wanted to say congrats on the new pupper! She's a cutie! And welcome back - good to see you again!

Thank for all the help everyone. That night I ended up feeding her mostly white rice and a little bit of chicken. I did the same the next day, then mixed in white rice with kibble the next two days and yesterday was her first day back on all kibble. She hasn't had any more issues with diarrhea. We are going to the vet later this afternoon for a full checkup and to get her all UTD on shots and anything else she needs. She's been adjusting well and is a really great dog!
    I've been Defrosted!

Aww, that's good! Sounds like she's adjusting now! Hope it all goes well at the vet!
    I've Been Frosted

Congrats on the new pup---sounds like she's over the runny poops, good for her. But I've always relied on pumpkin if any of my dogs went that route, I'm sure the vet would agree (not the pie filling, pure pumpkin) . Also the chicken and rice is always something my vet tells cients so that should work too if she ever goes that route again.
    Hope she has a good check up with nothing to worry about.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

The checkup went well. She had some yeast in her ears so they cleaned them out which she did not like! They sent me home with some wash to clean her ears out a few times a week. Everything else looked good! We are going back in 3 weeks for boosters and to check her ears again.
    I've been Defrosted!

Quote Originally Posted by Uabassoon View Post
    The checkup went well. She had some yeast in her ears so they cleaned them out which she did not like! They sent me home with some wash to clean her ears out a few times a week. Everything else looked good! We are going back in 3 weeks for boosters and to check her ears again.
    Yay! Sounds good, and while we cannot blame her for not liking her ears getting poked at, we know it is important, and she'll feel even better when the infection is gone!

And while we're at it - if she has the typical bulldog issue of having gas strong enough to clear a room, like the newest member of our family (at LH's house) did, (Angel's likely part bulldog, boxer or pittie - wiggly, cute and eats like she'll never see food again ...) I can share the tip with you that made their couch a safer place to be after supper! Let me know!
    I've Been Frosted