Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Ugliest Animal??

Ugliest Animal??

Some animals are simply "less attractive" than our pups and kittens and birds.

We spend so much time oohing and awwing over our pets that live with us. As I was watching the possum in my back yard the other night, it made me wonder which was the ugliest animal in my mind. This poor possum got my vote.

What do you think? What is your "least" favorite?

I think I will edit this post to say that this is meant all in fun!!

Last edited by gini; 12-12-2002 at 10:40 AM.

I know it's very irrational. But spiders. And cockroaches.

Uh-oh; this started some feistiness on another thread about rats! Like the saying goes, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and when you love a pet, you believe it to be the most beautiful in the world. That said......my least favorite would be anything in the insect family, followed by anything in the crustacean family. I don't mind reptiles, but I wouldn't want to own any. I like most rodents, but I think the hairless rats are scary-looking. I don't really care for birds; although I think a lot of them are very beautiful, their beaks and feet kind of freak me out. I've never owned a dog, but I like dogs and I tend to act as goofy over them as I do about cats, with the baby-talk and extreme petting when I meet them. I TOTALLY LOVE CATS! There are some breeds of dogs and cats that I don't find particularly attractive, but I won't list any of them here. As far as wild animals - well, I haven't seen too many in my lifetime, other than in books, but yes, those poor opossums are really homely.
    The legend says that Mohammed adored cats. When one of them was sleeping on his sleeve and he had to go out, Mohammed supposedly cut off the sleeve so as not to disturb his pet.

A righteous man regardeth the life of his beast - Proverbs 12:10

How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven. - Robert A. Heinlein

What greater gift than the love of a cat? ~ Charles Dickens

There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person. - Dan Greenberg

If purring could be encapsulated, it'd be the most powerful anti-depressant on the market. ~Alexis F. Hope

I love all animals, and think, in their own way, all are beautiful...at the very least, to their own species.

xx
    Last edited by All Creatures Great And Small; 12-11-2012 at 04:53 PM.
    The legend says that Mohammed adored cats. When one of them was sleeping on his sleeve and he had to go out, Mohammed supposedly cut off the sleeve so as not to disturb his pet.

How we behave toward cats here below determines our status in heaven. - Robert A. Heinlein

There is, incidently, no way of talking about cats that enables one to come off as a sane person. - Dan Greenberg

If purring could be encapsulated, it'd be the most powerful anti-depressant on the market. ~Alexis F. Hope

Oh, Gini, I have to agree with you. Having had to deal with a possum up close and personal, I think they are terribly ugly (frightening, ugly teeth). I am a lover of all animals, but I definitely prefer my possums, somewhere far away from me!!

Hands Down, MONKEYS!!!! *bleck*

Gimme a 'possum anyday!

Originally posted by Cataholic
    I love all animals, and think, in their own way, all are beautiful...at the very least, to their own species.
    I agree!!!!

I once took 12 baby possums to the wildlife rescue here and they were the cutest little things. I got so attached to them in that 30 minute drive, I was tempted to slip one in my pocket to take home, hehe

In high school, I was walking home at night from babysitting and saw one of the neighboorhood cats on my driveway. They were always hanging out at my house cause I fed them and sat out with them. Well I bent down to pet him and noticed his hair felt really weird. Then I heard a weird sound and at that point my dad turned on the porch light to see if I was coming. I noticed it was not a cat but a POSSUM! I screamed and ran away. But my whole family cracks up laughing whenever we remember it.
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Originally posted by zippy-kat
    Oh yeah, I forgot about monkeys - I know people keep them as pets and love them dearly, but they kind of give me the willies too .

Originally posted by zippy-kat

Gimme a 'possum anyday!
    My thoughts EXACTLY!!! I hate monkeys!!!

I would also have to add anything in the bug family.....eeeep!
    ...RIP, our sweet Gini...

Originally posted by All Creatures Great And Small
    I've wondered about this myself, how something that is 1/1000th the size of me could instill such absolute terror and ridiculous behavior in me when I see it! (My whole family does the "bee dance", when a stinging insect is near us, with the flailing arms and the screeching ) I finally decided that I would try to remain still when there's a bee or wasp near me, and I now can control the "bee dance", but I am still very afraid. I used to be afraid of spiders (my mom is PETRIFIED of them), but since they move so slow, I know they can't "get me" before I get them. I am so glad I have never experienced a cockroach close up, but we do have centipedes here, in the basement, and those things make me scream and do the "centipede dance" because they move so dang fast and you can't catch them to "euthanize" them!!!! So then you know they're lurking somewhere, waiting to scare you again...........
    OMH! I hate centipedes, they are also poisonous and hurt very bad if one gets ahold of you. In 29 Palms, we had this huge one crawl out of our bathrub! They run like hell, as it was so hard to catch and we were very afraid of it biting us. It ended up running into my pants and we couldn't find it for about 30 minutes. We looked everywhere, of course the pants were off. We started stepping on the pants to try to kill it. You would have thought we had stepped on it but no!We shook the pants out and there it came running at us again! We eventually killed it, thank god. It was so terrifying.

We also had scorpions in our garage! When we first moved there we didn't know there were scorpions and we would walk out into the garage barefoot, never turning the light on. Well one night we happened to turn it on and what do you know, there were scorpions everywhere! Tiny little fast things. We killed them with a shovel. I can hold a scorpion in the petstore (the blue ones that glow under a black light) but in the wild they freak me out. I was sad after my bf squished them but relieved at the same time.

I used to be afraid of spiders but for the past month I have been forcing myself to pick up the nastiest of them that come into the house. It saddens me to kill a creature just because it scares me, when all they want to do is come inside for some warmth. So I have been catching them with my hands and letting themgo. Haven't been bit since and now i have more respect for them because contrary to what I thought, they are actually very timid gentle creatures. I don't know if I would pick up a black widow, or brown recluse. If those bit me I wouldn't come back, lol. Luckily I have studied spiders in Oregon and know which is poisonous and which is not, and therfor do not have to be afraid if they give me a little nibble or two, although it does sometimes hurt.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

As for possums, we used to keep them as pets and I have also kept cockroaches too. Not the German ones, but the hissing cockroaches. I think they are the coolest thing. I also keep praying mantids and stick insects. I have pics, want to see? Stick insects and prangys are so cute! I call mantids prangys. I will be getting new prangys in the spring time when my eggs hatch. So hopefully if my cats don't wat the egg sack I will have another prangy, Prangy the Sixth! Oh how I miss them.

I actually kept my female alive to February, they usually die around September/October after they mate. But she stuck around a long time. The more exotic varieties can live up to a few years. They usually sell them at PetCo.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

You can see a picture of one of our rehabbed possums in the Pet Rescue thread. There also a few other pictures too. Monkeys scare me too, but I don't think they are THAT ugly, just freaky looking.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Zoology Major

Without doubt the ugliest are - warthogs and crocodiles. Ugh.

Lynne
    Time spent with cats is never wasted
    --Collette

RIP Dear Dan xxx

I think that the ugliest animal is a human that is filled with hate.