Thread: Need Help with Lose Parakeets

Need Help with Lose Parakeets

Good morning everyone,

I am normally on the cat side of the board, but I need some help. There are two blue parakeets that have been hanging around my front yard with the wild birds because I am the only house that has bird seed. I need to capture them because they will not survive a winter here. I have put a bird cage on the ground with water, bird seed, and some treats hoping they would go in on their own. Needless to say that has not been a resounding success. I am looking for advice on how I might trap them so I can bring them into my neighbors house (they have agreed to adopt them).

Thoughts?

Oh, wow! Are they around any particular time of the day?
    I've Been Frosted

They hang around with all the rest of the birds, so they are present when ever food is available.

If you stay out there after you put the food down and sit quietly, would they still come by?
    I've Been Frosted

I don't know. Every time I get anywhere near the tree all the birds take off, so that is their cue. I think that if I were just to stand there, they wouldn't come at all because the other birds wouldn't come to eat.

It might be worth a shot to bring a chair out and sit, and see if they and the other birds will come by - otherwise I cannot think of anything that would lure them in that would not attract other birds!
    I've Been Frosted

Thanks for the suggestion. Right now it is POURING rain today, so I will have to try that when it is a little dryer

Oh dear, that may be "my" fault - the remnants of Hurricane Karen?
    I've Been Frosted

Yep, the rain is remants of the hurricane. But we are doing better than a lot of places: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-Nebraska.html