Thread: Not dirt poor enough

Not dirt poor enough

I took Emily and Callie to Animal Care Services Friday for shots and hopefully so vet care. I don't qualify. You have to be beyond dirt poor to qualify. I was willing to pay more and they said no. They have their own poverty guidelines that are similar to the fed guidelines. 11 000 for a one person household. Yikes. That's 30 hours per week at 50 weeks per year at minimum wage.

My friend might have to "adopt" some of my cats to get them care. She and her new husband qualify.

Yikes. It is scary to think of how little people must earn to qualify for anything.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

I'm having the same situation with health care. Under Obamacare, I make too much to qualify for the free health insurance. I do qualify for a subsidy, but that is in the form of a tax credit that I get back at tax time. I would still have to pay upfront for my insurance and there is no way I can do that. If they want to penalize me for not being "poor enough" they can go right ahead and do it. Ain't nothin' I can do about that.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Quote Originally Posted by katladyd View Post
    I'm having the same situation with health care. Under Obamacare, I make too much to qualify for the free health insurance. I do qualify for a subsidy, but that is in the form of a tax credit that I get back at tax time. I would still have to pay upfront for my insurance and there is no way I can do that. If they want to penalize me for not being "poor enough" they can go right ahead and do it. Ain't nothin' I can do about that.
    bummer on that. Mine isn't free either, but I do get a rebate every month on th extra premium that I was charge last year. Last year I was paying twice the rate since I was only part-time. I elected to keep state insurance and luckily, the district has reimbursed me for my extra premiums. I'm sick enough that not paying for insurance wasn't smart. I know I need it.

good luck with it. There are parts of the ACA that need tweaking. Tax rebates are great, but only of you have the money to spend now.
    Last edited by mrspunkysmom; 10-06-2013 at 10:02 PM.
    Anne

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

I do not think we have those in Canada, but my Vet is a good man and gives me a Seniors Discount, and an overall skipping certain items.
    He is our Vet , and I do not know what to do if he retires.
    He is one of the few who makes house calls.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Hi Gary,

ACA, Affordable Care Act, is the real name for ObamaCare.

I wish my vet was as nice.
    Anne