Thread: Shih Tzu randomly attacking cats

Shih Tzu randomly attacking cats

My fiance and I found a 3 year old female Shih Tzu in the park behind our house in early June. We kept her, got her shots. We also have multiple cats (8 total but only 3 come inside the house) as we feed strays. At first she had zero problem with any cat whether they were in the house or on our property. Recently though she has been attacking the cats who stay indoors without warning, she attacked (multiple times) a pregnant cat, and has gone after my male cat while he was on my lap. I've put the indoor cats on the porch in fear she'll hurt them. We don't know what to. We don't want to get rid of her but we might have to.

Yikes! Any changes in the household before she started this new behavior? Have you done any obedience training with her? You might need to keep her leashed to you when the cats are around for a while so you can instantly correct and redirect any attacks. How much exercise is she getting?
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Are you certain that she is attacking them? Perhaps this could be an over rambunctious attempt to get them to play with her. Sounds like she could just be looking for attention, either by the humans, or by the cats. Hope you find a solution to the issue.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Be sure the cats have dog-free safe zones. Put up baby gates to block certain areas / rooms, so the cats can escape to safety. I have 2 bedrooms blocked off. In each, the cats can find litter boxes, food and water bowls, and pet beds and a climbing tree.

If you have not done any training with her, sign up now with classes.

As suggested keep a leash on her so you can control her easily and quickly.

You did not mention whether she is spayed? If not, get that done.

My fiance noticed that while she's always been territorial (mostly over food so we moved her food away from the cats) she's gotten more aggressive after a specific cat died suddenly 3 weeks ago. This was a cat she slept and played with from the very first day we found her (the dog). I'm wondering if this has something to do with anything?

Quote Originally Posted by RumpyFee View Post
    My fiance noticed that while she's always been territorial (mostly over food so we moved her food away from the cats) she's gotten more aggressive after a specific cat died suddenly 3 weeks ago. This was a cat she slept and played with from the very first day we found her (the dog). I'm wondering if this has something to do with anything?
    It certainly could. She is grieving in her own way. But you need to work with her right now to keep the possessiveness from getting worse, which it almost always does.

The best thing to do is some obedience training, and institute a "Nothing in Life is Free" policy with her. Keep her leashed to you, make her sit before she gets any treat, make her wait until you have eaten before she eats, etc., I you do a search for NILIF here on Pet Talk, you'll find a lot of discussion - it may seem extreme, but it sounds like it is what will enable her to stay with you, and enable you to have a peaceful coexistence long term!
    I've Been Frosted