Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What Do and Don't you miss from childhood?

What Do and Don't you miss from childhood?

Thought of this loooking at Kirsten's pictures from the abandoned houses that now hold the art exhibit ...

What is one this you do miss from childhood or your hometown
    and
    What is one thing you do not miss?

I do miss penny candy's existence - my teacher didn't believe any place still sold penny candy, but the store up the street from me did, so he'd give me money to buy penny candy he could give out as prizes!
    (I am sure that would never happen now, a teacher giving one child a prize and not the other students ...)

I do not miss my asthma medicine (Tedral) that tasted so bad it made my tongue want to curl up and die if it so much as touched it on the way down!!

What are yours?

Thought this might be fun, whether your childhood was 5 years ago or 60 years ago! Time moves on, things change!
    I've Been Frosted

Funny you should bring this up....

When we were driving down Sutton ave to the cemetery, I pointed out to the kids where the old apple orchards were (that are now Mcmansions.....grrrrr) and pointed out where the country store was that we went to.

I miss the candy they used to selll that I haven't seen since, molasses sponge candy......and I just found recipes for it!
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

I miss... a supermarket that is a reasonable size (not as huge as an airplane hangar). It seems like the things I usually need (milk, cat food, bread, produce) are usually toward the back of the store -- so it takes longer to walk back there and select the few things I need.

A corded telephone ... future generations will never know the fun of wrapping the cord around their wrist and hand while they talk on the phone!

I don't miss ... always being sure I had exactly 20 cents for the pay phone at school (or at the mall) and knowing their locations. I don't miss carrying around an enormous first generation cell phone, either. I like always having a phone with me.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I miss the long car drives with "Wolverton Mountain" and other golides playing on the radio; walking on snow so hard it never broke and the sun twinkled millions of the tiniest diamond sparks on it; going places with mom and dad and knowing they were always there...

I don't miss always adjusting to a new school cause my dad got transferred a lot and not being in the same class as my sister when we moved; always having to fit in all over again.

Today, life is good! Cause when I was a kid I couldn't have gone on the totally amazing mountain hike yesterday!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Well, I can't say I actually miss anything from my childhood because today I'm a much happier person than I used to be when I was a child, but there are a few things I like to remember.. For example the time I spent with my grandma when we were watching birds and the feral cats in our backyard. I enjoyed the fall season when my mom and I were collecting chestnuts and acorns; and later at home, I was making little animals out of them... I loved helping my mom or my grandma making cookies in the Christmas season. I also have fond memories of me and my childhood friend (who, btw, is still one of my best friends today) playing in the park or in our backyard.

What I definitely don't miss is anything sport-related! I hated it, especially since I grew up in a sporty family which always gave me the feeling I was a big failure! And I hated the endless walks when we were visiting my aunt who lived at the edge of town. My mother doesn't have a driving licence, so we always had to walk. Also, I hated to be an only-child, so I was more than happy when - at the age of eight - I got a little baby sister!

My sis and I washing the dishes. This must have been around 1975 or 1976.
    Seeing this makes me realize that I have always detested this odd seventies look - even when it was modern! lol

Very interesting thought come up with this.....

Things I miss
    - Living in a time and place where leaving your house and walking all the way across town was safe. I lived with my dad's parents and would walk better part of 2 miles to my other grandparents house and back. No one every thought anything about it.
    - Laying in my bed at the house and hearing the train come through town on the track 1/2 a block away. Loud, but a soothing sound.
    - My mom's parents had a huge garden. I would go there, take a salt shaker out and eat fresh vegetables right off the plant after brushing the dirt off. I can still remember the taste.

Things I don't miss
    - Moving from the small town to a large town - the noise of the traffic outside our window and the scary amount of people I would see every day.
    - Moving 4 times in 4th grade. Took forever for me to learn that people don't always go away.
    - Being the awkward, gangly child that was always picked last for sports because I was so unathletic.

Quote Originally Posted by robinh View Post
    (...)

- Being the awkward, gangly child that was always picked last for sports because I was so unathletic.
    Oh, I can relate! It used to be the same for me!

Thing I do miss:
    -I miss playing with my animal figurines with the neighborhood kids and playing basketball, going out on the trail behind our houses and jumping off the dirt mounds with the bikes....if you didn't wear a helmet you were "cool". I miss playing outside and a lot of the nieghborhood kids who have long since moved away.
    -Elementary School: We had fun class parties and we were all friends. No one ever made fun of anyone as far as I can remember. Getting books from the school library...those were the days
    -Going Birding every weekend with my dad.

Things I don't miss:
    -Being told I can't do any sports because of the heart condition.
    -Being in the hospital and having surgeries to correct the heart condition.
    -Hearing my parents fight and thinking they were gonna get a divorce (but I guess every kid thought that!).
    -Being bullied, especially in 6th grade. I walk weird, so people like to make fun of me for it. Funny how you're judged as a person simply because you walk differently. Never would I have thought it would matter so much before 6th grade. I never noticed it until people decided to make fun of me. I am in college now, and I sort of grew out of it, but from time-to-time people will still say something. I will always remember what people said about me simply because of that. It was 8 years ago, and I STILL recall it.

I miss ... my mom's cooking every evening. She is an AMAZING cook, and I only get to enjoy that occasionally now!

I don't miss ... living in terror of something setting off my dad, resulting in a beating. I never had a safe place.

I miss: Riding round and round the block on my big wheel. What a big adventure!

I do not miss: Having my hair washed and set in pin curls. Torture!

I miss not having to worry about anything, not bills or any other adult issues. I miss sitting on the stoup with other kids from the apartment and telling ghost stories and just hanging out without a care in the world except of course getting good grades.

I don't miss having a curfew and all the rules in the household and of having a very strict Father.

All in all tho, I had a pretty good childhood.

Name:  03.gif
Views: 124
Size:  40.1 KB

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."

I do miss...
    My dad. I was a daddy's girl and very tomboyish, so I did everything with him. Helped him in the workshop, watched Star Trek, went camping.... I think one of my very favorite things to do was lay on our tummies on the bed and he would teach me to read. I still have my favorite book from that time, which was also one of my dad's favorites from when he was a kid.

I don't miss...
    The summer of '98. I was in daycare and had tubes in my ears, so whenever we got to go to the city pool once a week I had to wear this ridiculous hot pink band around my head. On top of that, I frequently got into chiggers so all the other kids deemed me unapproachable due to a "contagious case of cooties". I might as well just went to daycare every day holding a giant sign that said "freakshow". Oh, and I can't forget the fact that I also had tiny squinty eyes so on the playground everyone would call me a spy and run away from me. Seriously, the list goes on and on. Now I can kind of laugh at the things that were done to me, but at the time it was the worst feeling in the world to be an outcast.
    The Minions:
    {The Dog: Towser & Raiden} {The Cats: Khaith, Martha, Adelaide, Snowball, & Floki} {The Bird: Gir}

I do miss...
    hours and hours of playing with my sisters and our 20+ toy horses. Riding my real horse. Biking to the grocery store for my mom. Going to the hardware store with my dad.

I don't miss...
    Well...I can't think of anything I didn't like about my childhood...
    Owned by my baby and heart-dog Lolli.

If each pet we love takes a part of our heart and replaces it with a part of theirs, my heart is a very strange collection of pieces, but I wouldn't have it any other way

Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go, and then do it. --Ann Landers

Quote Originally Posted by Casper View Post
    Seriously, the list goes on and on. Now I can kind of laugh at the things that were done to me, but at the time it was the worst feeling in the world to be an outcast.
    Courtney, I think that's why we both like Spock so much....

Originally posted by Casper
    Now I can kind of laugh at the things that were done to me, but at the time it was the worst feeling in the world to be an outcast.
    I'm amazed there were that many of us out there. I felt the same way.