Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Very unique art festival in my hometown these days (pictures)

Very unique art festival in my hometown these days (pictures)

Right now, our MonumentArt-ArtMonument show is taking place. The idea is to use abandoned, partly ruinous buildings in our town center as an exhibition area for various artists to show their work. For nine days, these buildings (almost all of them half-timbered houses, the oldest from the 13th century) are opened to the public, and it's really exciting to explore them.

Here are some pictures:

What a cool idea! Do the artists provide the furniture, etc, as well as the actual artwork?
    I've Been Frosted

Karen, I think some artists provided the furniture as they are part of the installation; as in the first three pictures. But the living room in the 4th picture must be the remains of the former owners; at least that was my impression.

Are there that many abandoned buildings there? It seems like someone would want to live in them!

Still, interesting idea for an art exhibit, and maybe someone will think "That piece would look so much better in MY house with clean walls ..."
    I've Been Frosted

Yes, there are many abandoned buildings in the town center these days; very old houses that do not match our modern standards. The idea of the festival (it's taking place every two years since 2007) is to draw peoples' attention to these buildings, and some of them have found new owners that way. It's an award winning concept, btw.

Wow, I cannot imagine it! I adore old buildings, and they obviously have good walls intact, structural integrity - it seems it would be easier - and more economical - to rehab one old building than build new!
    I've Been Frosted

That's right, Karen, but to match these days' standards, a lot of rebuilding/restructuring would be required. I grew up in such a house, but these days, I cannot imagine to live like that. For example, we had no bathroom. We had a toilet cabin in the stairways and we used to wash ourselves in the kitchen sink, go figure! Later, my dad installed a shower in a very tiny room between our living room and our kitchen. As a child, it seemed normal to me, but today, I wouldn't want to live like that.

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    That's right, Karen, but to match these days' standards, a lot of rebuilding/restructuring would be required. I grew up in such a house, but these days, I cannot imagine to live like that. For example, we had no bathroom. We had a toilet cabin in the stairways and we used to wash ourselves in the kitchen sink, go figure! Later, my dad installed a shower in a very tiny room between our living room and our kitchen. As a child, it seemed normal to me, but today, I wouldn't want to live like that.
    Wow, that's surprising! I mean, not for the 13th century, but for the 20th, sure! Of course we do not have any building that old around here, 300 years is considered very old, and rare! Gosh that just sets my mind ticking, planning - you know, Step 1, install modern plumbing! Step 2 - a kitchen! and on we go! Well, it is a good thing they are very far away from me, it is just tempting!

It seems like modernizing one building a year would be good practice for a technical school or something - do they ever do that?
    I've Been Frosted

Technical schools don't do that (although it's a good idea!), but we have a unique project right now (also part of ArtMonument-MonumentArt): 9x24, an entire half-timbered house (abandoned after a fire in 2004), now rebuilt within the 9 days of the festival, 24 hours a day - only by volunteers. :-)

Since you're interested in these old buildings, I'd suggest you'd check my FB album with pictures of that rotten building (took them in April this year):
    https://www.facebook.com/kirsten.sch...6615523&type=3

What an interesting concept Kirsten-- what a great way to put those old buildings to use and get people to visit them. Love the pictures, almost makes on want to take out pen and paper and see what could be done with those old remains... what a great project that would be.
    We have absolutely nothing like that here, the old buildings, and I mean the buildings that were considered landmarks here were demolished in favour of modern offices some look like they're made of all glass--I don't really care for the new look, it would have been nice to keep the old landmarks that our children and grandchildren will now never see.
    Love the pictures, thanks for sharing. I bet the history behind some of those buildings would make for some interesting reading.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

Another thought would be to start a writing contest - one building at a time, as they seem to have stories to tell that writers would have a good time imagining!
    I've Been Frosted

Asiel, that's so sad that the old buildings in your area have been replaced. Here, they cannot do that so easily because there's such a thing as preservation of sites of historic interest; even renovating buildings needs to be done in accordance with these rules.

I'm sure all these houses would have lots of interesting stories to tell, I always wonder what these walls have seen in all these centuries... Unfortunately, most of the records got lost in WW2. However, a writing contest, as Karen has suggested, might be a good idea. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    I'm sure all these houses would have lots of interesting stories to tell, I always wonder what these walls have seen in all these centuries... Unfortunately, most of the records got lost in WW2. However, a writing contest, as Karen has suggested, might be a good idea. :-)
    Hee hee - maybe that could be your next "job" - start a contest, and get people to sponsor prizes, etc., and get grants to pay yourself a small salary as part of it!

And do, please post some photos (nature, or other) over here on Pet Talk, too - you know I love to write poems to match them!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Hee hee - maybe that could be your next "job" - start a contest, and get people to sponsor prizes, etc., and get grants to pay yourself a small salary as part of it!

And do, please post some photos (nature, or other) over here on Pet Talk, too - you know I love to write poems to match them!
    I'm sure the organizers will come up with something interesting for 2015.

And as for nature pictures... I haven't taken any this year. I just wasn't in the mood to take the same kind of pictures over and over again. Maybe next year.

As always, your pictures are fabulous. I like this idea. Very interesting way to make old new again.