Thread: Very unique art festival in my hometown these days (pictures)

Hybrid View

Very unique art festival in my hometown these days (pictures)

Right now, our MonumentArt-ArtMonument show is taking place. The idea is to use abandoned, partly ruinous buildings in our town center as an exhibition area for various artists to show their work. For nine days, these buildings (almost all of them half-timbered houses, the oldest from the 13th century) are opened to the public, and it's really exciting to explore them.

Here are some pictures:

What a cool idea! Do the artists provide the furniture, etc, as well as the actual artwork?
    I've Been Frosted

Karen, I think some artists provided the furniture as they are part of the installation; as in the first three pictures. But the living room in the 4th picture must be the remains of the former owners; at least that was my impression.

Are there that many abandoned buildings there? It seems like someone would want to live in them!

Still, interesting idea for an art exhibit, and maybe someone will think "That piece would look so much better in MY house with clean walls ..."
    I've Been Frosted

Yes, there are many abandoned buildings in the town center these days; very old houses that do not match our modern standards. The idea of the festival (it's taking place every two years since 2007) is to draw peoples' attention to these buildings, and some of them have found new owners that way. It's an award winning concept, btw.

Wow, I cannot imagine it! I adore old buildings, and they obviously have good walls intact, structural integrity - it seems it would be easier - and more economical - to rehab one old building than build new!
    I've Been Frosted