Thread: Breed guesses?

Breed guesses?

Sorry these aren't the best photos, they are taken with my crappy cell phone camera. He is afraid of my big camera he runs and hides. This is my brother-in-law's dog. He got him for free from the classifieds, he was told he was a purebred breed of dog but I'm not going to tell you what that breed is supposed to be yet. Needless to say I don't think he's that purebred breed of dog though I'm certain he could have it in him. He's about 3 years old (sadly this is at least his 3rd home) he's super sweet. Kind of a chicken at first, very submissive, but friendly. Fairly mellow but does love to play. Wasn't good off leash at first but now that he's bonded to his new owner he is. His fur is actually longer than in these photos, I cut his hair. The length I do barely takes anything off his body but his hind/tail were easily more than twice the length they are now and his neck fur was probably 2 inches longer. He absolutely hates to be brushed, especially his tail and hind, and this makes it more manageable and happier grooming experiences for him. He's pretty small, 30 lbs tops, probably less than that but he's thin he would probably weigh 30-35 if he filled out a bit. Oh and in case you don't know my dogs, he's the black and tan one.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	murphy.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	62.2 KB 
ID:	57237   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	murphy1.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	80.7 KB 
ID:	57238  

Gordon Setter/Border Collie mix would be my guess, especially from the long tail and ears feathering you described before his trim! His coloring is pretty close to a Gordon, but he's shorter and stockier ...
    I've Been Frosted

He reminds me of chocolatepuppy's Jake He's so cute! Hi, Murphy -- welcome to PT! And hi, Keva, Skya, and Killer! And Nebo too!
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

I see Australian Shepherd. The coloring could be rotty or dobie. Who knows!? But I don't see a purebred dog there either. I do, however, see one ADORABLE dog!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Mostly Border Collie.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I see some type of herding breed, but that's all the further I get Welcome to PT, gorgeous guy!
    Owned by my baby and heart-dog Lolli.

If each pet we love takes a part of our heart and replaces it with a part of theirs, my heart is a very strange collection of pieces, but I wouldn't have it any other way

Some people believe holding on and hanging in there are signs of great strength. However, there are times when it takes much more strength to know when to let go, and then do it. --Ann Landers

I don't know much about dog breeds but if there is one known as "cute" this is where this doggie fits right in!

He is supposed to be a purebred australian shepherd, they may have even called him a mini aussie. The last people who had him were getting rid of him because they got him for a herding dog and he has no herding instincts. I don't know if it's an accepted color but I've seen a couple of aussies that were just black and tan. That coloring can occur in a wide variety of breeds.

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_Q View Post
    He is supposed to be a purebred australian shepherd, they may have even called him a mini aussie. The last people who had him were getting rid of him because they got him for a herding dog and he has no herding instincts. I don't know if it's an accepted color but I've seen a couple of aussies that were just black and tan. That coloring can occur in a wide variety of breeds.
    Coloring yes, but Aussies don't normally have the long hair you describe, but often have no tail or a bob tail naturally, although there are a few with full length tails. It just doesn't have the face or build, either! A cute dod whatever he is!
    I've Been Frosted

I am not really sure but he is cute and just like to say your huskies are stunning.
    ZACK MY BIG BEAR.