Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Partial U.S. Government shutdown

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    Un staffed National parks now closed and guarded, National Parks website no longer updated, road side views of Rushmore also closed, Amber Alert System shut down.

Lock em all out.
    So, what is the difference between right this second and the usual government?

Nothing gets done anyway?

Quote Originally Posted by RICHARD View Post
    So, what is the difference between right this second and the usual government?

Nothing gets done anyway?
    It costs more to close the National Parks then it does to keep them open.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

New study out that goes to prove how difficult it is to get the peoples business done in Washington DC.

http://www.theindychannel.com/lifest...y-test10082013
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I'd be first in line to challenge the competency of some (okay, many, if not most) in Congress, but what does a worldwide test with no methodology in the article have to do with anything?
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

My brother was furloughed as of yesterday. He works for the VA.

I am sorry to read this. As this goes on longer, there will be more people like you brother. Hopefully he will be able to go back to work soon.

Hopefully people will wake up and stop sending the same people back to D.C. year after year.

Our Union just cleaned the slate on our national executive board. It CAN be done, people. If you think incumbent politicians are hard to get rid of, try removing a Union officer. It almost takes an act of god.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    Hopefully people will wake up and stop sending the same people back to D.C. year after year.

Our Union just cleaned the slate on our national executive board. It CAN be done, people. If you think incumbent politicians are hard to get rid of, try removing a Union officer. It almost takes an act of god.

Do you think gerrymandering has anything to do with the stalemate in Congress?
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    Do you think gerrymandering has anything to do with the stalemate in Congress?
    Nah, not at all. [/sarcasm]

Up until the last census, I was in a Congressional District that looked like a piece of spaghetti threading through upstate New York. When calling a Congressional office for assistance they had to check your address to see whether or not you were in their district, one side of the street was in the 21st, the other side was in the 22d.

Now it looks like it almost makes sense, but the borders were redrawn to favor the Republican incumbent when NY lost 2 districts.

My situation in Massachusetts was similar, just different names, with the districts redrawn to favor Democrats when the Republicans ceased to exist as a political entity in the State Legislature.

Regardless of Gerrymandering, however, da bums CAN be removed, it just takes an electorate who is paying attention in both the primaries and the general elections.

"things in Washington have to change"

You'd think someone with some (community) organizing experience may have the answer - as opposed to digging their heels in and making remarks about not negotiating?
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

A interesting observation about the shutdown. Just saying.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4110268.html
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    A interesting observation about the shutdown. Just saying.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/1...n_4110268.html
    Horsemanure.

The gender of the lawmakers has nothing to do with anything. Some of the most vicious rulers in history have been women.

As to their comments about women being pragmatic and more able to work together? Again, horsemanure.

Horsemanure.

The gender of the lawmakers has nothing to do with anything. Some of the most vicious rulers in history have been women.

As to their comments about women being pragmatic and more able to work together? Again, horsemanure.
    The nuns at Mary Immaculate in So Cal wielded rulers in a manner that was no conducive with the tenets of the Roman Catholic Church, but then again, you knew you were in trouble when Sister Mary Torquemada was your teacher.
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Horsemanure.

Purely one man's humble opinion. LOL Women are by nature, the calmer, more mature peacemakers of society. They are used to settling disputes weather
    in a family setting or in congress. There are always exceptions to every rule, but they are just that, exceptions.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Eleanor Roosevelt

We have a record number of female Premiers in Canada.

A politician is a politician, as it turns out.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda