Thread: Run In With A Raccoon

Hybrid View

Blog Entries

Run In With A Raccoon

Today was a beautiful day for a walk in the woods & fields until Baxter found a raccoon in the grass stripes of the bean field.

Missy & grandpuppy Max got into the mix of things. I did not dare get near the fight for fear of having the raccoon taking me on. I called & called the dogs trying to get them to come.

Finally the raccoon slipped away from them sneaking off into the bean field. I got Missy to come & held on to her. Baxter was sniffing around in the grass stripe & Max with his super keen sniffer took off through the bean field on the raccoons trail. I watched him trail the raccoon down through the bean field & luckily the raccoon threw him off the trail. Max finally returned.

Max & Missy were puffing pretty good on the way home. When we got home everyone got checked for bites which they all had & were treated with a disinfectant spray.

The raccoon like to spend the day in a cool spot & sometimes the dogs sniff them out & if there are no trees close by for the raccoon to climb up, the fight is on. This was one lucky smart feisty raccoon to escape three dogs out in the open.
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

When, thankfully no one was badly hurt, yourself included!
    I've Been Frosted

I'm glad you are all okay. At least wasn't a skunk. Stink is horrible.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

I recommend calling the vet to see if they need to have their rabies or distemper vaccines boostered just in case something was wrong with the raccoon. They normally shouldn't be out in the middle of the day... better safe than sorry.

facebook

Yikes! Glad everyone is ok. I'm hoping no wild animals ever get in my fence before we go out at bedtime.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Oh wow, coons can do some major damage... glad everyone made it out with minimal injuries! I second making sure the pups are up to date on shots. Towser actually had a run in with a small coon that was inside our fence about a week ago. I'm glad my boy is a bit of a wimp and just barks instead of getting up close and personal... though I'm sure our neighbors didn't enjoy his frantic barking at 2am.
    The Minions:
    {The Dog: Towser & Raiden} {The Cats: Khaith, Martha, Adelaide, Snowball, & Floki} {The Bird: Gir}

Blog Entries
    All three dogs are up on their shots. There wounds were puffy on Sunday & today the puffiness has gone down & there is healing. I am wondering how the raccoon fared? This isn't the first time they have run into a raccoon but out in the open like that was a big surprise for me.
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom