Thread: Shingles...

Hybrid View

Shingles...

Has anyone ever had Shingles. I have it for the second time in less than 4 years, it is so painful. I am going to the Dr. today to get a prescription. The pain is getting worse and affecting the whole left side of my upper body. Just wondering if anyone else here has suffered with this virus.

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."

I see the post for the Shingles vaccine in my doctor's office and remember when my elderly neighbor Kay had it, so when I am of the age I will definitely get the vaccine. I know I had chicken pox - it was the only time I ever missed school in elementary school, and I gave to Lady's Human, who was a little baby, and we kept having to put socks over his hands so he couldn't scratch the itchies! Kay said it was excruciating, I hope to never have to have Shingles.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I see the post for the Shingles vaccine in my doctor's office and remember when my elderly neighbor Kay had it, so when I am of the age I will definitely get the vaccine.
    I never knew there was a vaccine for Shingles till yesterday when my pharmacist told me about it. I also didn't know you had to be a certain age either, you learn something new every day.

"I've been frosted."

Here's a link to some home remedies - stuff you can put on the rash to help the pain: http://www.myhomeremedies.com/topic.cgi?topicid=179
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

The posters say anyone can get Shingles at any age if they have had chicken pox exposure, but the vaccine is recommended for anyone over 60.
    I've Been Frosted

I looked into getting the vaccine after I heard about shingles last year or so, but it turned out the vaccine would cost something like $250 and it wasn't covered by my prescription drug insurance. So... no shingles vaccine! I just have to hope I don't get shingles.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Here's a link to some home remedies - stuff you can put on the rash to help the pain: http://www.myhomeremedies.com/topic.cgi?topicid=179
    Since there is no rash showing as of yet, my Dr. couldn't say for sure if it is Shingles so he didn't give me the anti-viral meds. He did give me a prescription for a pain medication which I have to pick up from the pharmacist today. I'm sure it's Shingles since I've had it before and I had the rash before but up till now, I still don't have the rash. Thanks.

"I've been frosted."

I had them 3 years ago. They were on the left side of my head, down my neck. They started with sharp pains on my scalp. The med my Dr. gave me was called "acyclovir" and he also gave me some topical stuff but the blisters hurt too much to put them on!

You need to keep them covered to protect people around you who have not had chicken pox.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb