Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shingles...

Shingles...

Has anyone ever had Shingles. I have it for the second time in less than 4 years, it is so painful. I am going to the Dr. today to get a prescription. The pain is getting worse and affecting the whole left side of my upper body. Just wondering if anyone else here has suffered with this virus.

"Happy is the home with at least one cat" - Italian Proverb

Every life should have nine cats. – Anonymous

"I've been frosted."

I see the post for the Shingles vaccine in my doctor's office and remember when my elderly neighbor Kay had it, so when I am of the age I will definitely get the vaccine. I know I had chicken pox - it was the only time I ever missed school in elementary school, and I gave to Lady's Human, who was a little baby, and we kept having to put socks over his hands so he couldn't scratch the itchies! Kay said it was excruciating, I hope to never have to have Shingles.
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I see the post for the Shingles vaccine in my doctor's office and remember when my elderly neighbor Kay had it, so when I am of the age I will definitely get the vaccine.
    I never knew there was a vaccine for Shingles till yesterday when my pharmacist told me about it. I also didn't know you had to be a certain age either, you learn something new every day.

"I've been frosted."

Here's a link to some home remedies - stuff you can put on the rash to help the pain: http://www.myhomeremedies.com/topic.cgi?topicid=179
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

The posters say anyone can get Shingles at any age if they have had chicken pox exposure, but the vaccine is recommended for anyone over 60.
    I've Been Frosted

I looked into getting the vaccine after I heard about shingles last year or so, but it turned out the vaccine would cost something like $250 and it wasn't covered by my prescription drug insurance. So... no shingles vaccine! I just have to hope I don't get shingles.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Definitely get the vaccine before you turn 65 and go on Medicare. I thought I heard that they are now paying for it, but after what Pat said - maybe not.

I was past 65 when I had the vaccine, because it wasn't available earlier; fortunately my supplemental insurance is fantastic, and paid for the entire cost

Yup - I've had shingles twice too. Nasty stuff. There is a medication you can take that prevents the rash from spreading but you have to take it within 24 hours of the first symptoms. I was lucky last time because I recognized straight away what it was down my arm and wrist. It was miserable still but could have been worse. Sorry I don't remember the name of the drug. Canada hadn't approved the vaccine at that time but I think they have now.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I'm a senior but have never had shingles, but I never had chickenpox either, so that makes me safe. I seriously doubt that I'll ever get them now, since I've been exposed numerous times when both of my kids had them, and my grandkids too. I made up for not having them, by having mumps and measles - that was in the dark ages before there was vaccines against them.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Here's a link to some home remedies - stuff you can put on the rash to help the pain: http://www.myhomeremedies.com/topic.cgi?topicid=179
    Since there is no rash showing as of yet, my Dr. couldn't say for sure if it is Shingles so he didn't give me the anti-viral meds. He did give me a prescription for a pain medication which I have to pick up from the pharmacist today. I'm sure it's Shingles since I've had it before and I had the rash before but up till now, I still don't have the rash. Thanks.

"I've been frosted."

I had them 3 years ago. They were on the left side of my head, down my neck. They started with sharp pains on my scalp. The med my Dr. gave me was called "acyclovir" and he also gave me some topical stuff but the blisters hurt too much to put them on!

You need to keep them covered to protect people around you who have not had chicken pox.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Definitely get the vaccine before you turn 65 and go on Medicare. I thought I heard that they are now paying for it, but after what Pat said - maybe not.

I was past 65 when I had the vaccine, because it wasn't available earlier; fortunately my supplemental insurance is fantastic, and paid for the entire cost
    Thanks, Gretchen. I'm 69 and did have chicken pox as a child. Maybe it was my Medicare supp. insurance that didn't pay for it. I know Medicare didn't, at least not then, a year or two ago when I first heard about it and checked into it. Maybe I should check this out again.

Pat
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    I looked into getting the vaccine after I heard about shingles last year or so, but it turned out the vaccine would cost something like $250 and it wasn't covered by my prescription drug insurance. So... no shingles vaccine! I just have to hope I don't get shingles.
    Pat, Thanks for the information. I didn't realize the vaccine was so expensive. Though, from what I'm hearing -- about how painful shingles can be -- I'm thinking $250 sounds like a small price to pay to not have this painful experience.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

My husband had them a few years ago it was awful. I asked my doctor if I could get a shot even though I am 52 and she said yes I just need to get in there and get it I had surgery 9/12 and didn't want to do it right before or after. Luckily my insurance fully covers it.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I knew a lady that had it 20 plus years ago. She suffered in dire pain with it and she'd sit up crying in pain every night.. Her family would always take her to the doctor and he was telling them Shingles was NOT painful and she was just doing it for attention. I always felt so sorry for her. I knew her and knew she enjoyed life to the fullest and couldn't have been lying about the pain. She died without knowing that it DOES cause pain and the doctors are aware of the pain now.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!