Thread: Ignorance of history - the little things

Ignorance of history - the little things

Watching "The Voice" this week, Christina Aguilera assigned Sarah McLaughlan's "Angel" to 16-year-old singer Jackie Lee, and acted like it was a spiritual angel, pretty song. The song, while lovely, is well known to be based on the story of heroin addiction, the addict regarding the heroin as "beautiful release" and comfort ..." According to Wikipedia:
    "Angel" (sometimes mis-titled[by whom?] as "In the Arms of the Angel" or simply "Arms of the Angel") is a song by Sarah McLachlan that originally appeared on her 1997 album Surfacing. As McLachlan explained on VH1 Storytellers, the song is about the Smashing Pumpkins touring keyboard player Jonathan Melvoin, who overdosed on heroin and died in 1996.
    How could Ms. Aguilera give this song to a 16-year-old, and tout it as spiritual, a beautiful like it was religious???
    I've Been Frosted

I had no idea this song was about heroin. Isn't this the song the ASPCA uses in its commercials?

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    I had no idea this song was about heroin. Isn't this the song the ASPCA uses in its commercials?
    It is, but at least the ASPCA commercials are sad - at least I am guessing they are as I click off as soon as they come on, as I prefer to donate locally instead of to national organizations, and know the realities of puppy mills, etc without their reminder.

And, by the way, I don't blame you for not knowing the song's history, but Ms. Aguilera is a music industry professional!
    I've Been Frosted

You're so right Karen. I don't watch that show, but if something is on Wikipedia and info available to everyone, you'd think that Ms. A's probably overpaid "people" would have checked song meaning out if only for PR reasons. I'm quite cynical, but this is one more proof that one should never underestimate the stupidity of some (of course not all) people.

Aguilera is a professional singer. I doubt she researches much...I think she heard this song, liked it, and thought it would be great for someone to sing!

If she has found out the meaning behind it by now, I hope her face is RED!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Aguilera is a professional singer. I doubt she researches much...I think she heard this song, liked it, and thought it would be great for someone to sing!

If she has found out the meaning behind it by now, I hope her face is RED!
    The song has been around for many years, since 1997, and was a top record, and you'd think, being in the industry, she'd have not only heard it but knew the origins. Ignorance may be bliss, but is no excuse! I can see the singer, as she's just 16, not knowing about it, and it is a gorgeous song, and she just trusted her mentor's choice!
    I've Been Frosted