Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: update: ACV Cranberry or both: UTI/stones for Callie.

Lots more wellwishes and purrayers for dear Callie!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

SO GLAD you brought her in and now she's on proper meds that will make her feel better!!!!!

Convenia is pretty expensive, but it is soooooo worth it for some of these kitties.

facebook

I'm glad to hear that she was seen by a vet and is now hopefully on the road to recovery. I bet she'll feel so much better soon. I think I read some where that if you feed your cat a lot of fish that this can cause urinary problems. I used to feed my cats some of the canned foods with fish in them but now I'm sticking to chicken and turkey based foods. I hope that she gets well soon.

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    I'm glad to hear that she was seen by a vet and is now hopefully on the road to recovery. I bet she'll feel so much better soon. I think I read some where that if you feed your cat a lot of fish that this can cause urinary problems. I used to feed my cats some of the canned foods with fish in them but now I'm sticking to chicken and turkey based foods. I hope that she gets well soon.
    Yes, I am wondering about that. I'll let you know how it goes.

She is also very lonely and needing of love. But you have to trap her to pick her up. Once you are holding her she becomes very docile and wants to just curl up on you and sleep and purr, etc.

Strange even for a cat. I need to find something to calm her down. I am thinking about some other types of meds for her.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

She loves being held, but I have to catch her first. It's become a routine.

On to more serious stuff. She is still peeing blood and not peeing much. She won't eat the fish now, so maybe she feels the connection. She also won't drink. I gave her some more chicken this morning and mixed her Clavamox in it along with the tramadol and ACV. I've just read where ACV is wrong for some stones and I might have to try cranberry capsules or organic cranberry juice.

She gets a grain free diet, so I'm not sure where the problem lies. It must be the fish.

BTW, the new doc was totally for feeding wet food to kitties to keep them hydrated. She has 9 of her own. Wow!

I've thought about asking a friend who rescues for help with obtaining subq equipment to help hydrate her. Right now I'm adding water to the chicken juice to encourage her to drink. I don't have the money to determine what stones these are. I know from my own experience that you can't always determine the nature of the stone because they are so small that detecting them is hard.

Any thought or suggestions are welcome.
    Last edited by mrspunkysmom; 09-29-2013 at 10:54 AM. Reason: add'l info
    Anne

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Maybe leave the ACV out for a little while. It might be affecting the taste of her food. I know you are avoiding fish, but maybe some canned salmon for med time might be an idea? Or canned chicken?

Also, mix some wet food with a bit of warm water to get more moisture into her.

Does anyone here know if the Clavamox and Tramadol need to be given separately?
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Maybe leave the ACV out for a little while. It might be affecting the taste of her food. I know you are avoiding fish, but maybe some canned salmon for med time might be an idea? Or canned chicken?

Also, mix some wet food with a bit of warm water to get more moisture into her.

Does anyone here know if the Clavamox and Tramadol need to be given separately?
    The vet didn't give me any instructions on that. I know that initially the meds seemed to be working because she ate and then peed quite a bit on Friday afternoon. If I have to I can syringe feed her chicken broth for moisture.

Going out shortly to get some organic cranberry juice and organic AVC, etc. And both are also useful for me and my kidney issues.
    Anne

Clavamox and tramadol can be given together.

facebook

Well, Callie still won't eat at all and is barely drinking. She is letting me hold her, and she would rather me do that than eat or drink. I think she has some weird notions about not eating or drinking when unwell. Silly cat.

So I syringe fed her chicken broth this afternoon, 1 ml at a time. I started mixing her antibiotics in there and then the contents of a cranberry capsule. Around the 5th or 6th dose, spaced out over a half-hour, she decided she had had enough.

My left arm got a few scratches and I had to take her back to the room. I haven't gone back to check on her yet, but I will soon. I'll let you know how she is.
    Anne

You probably know this so forgive me if you do, but being a witness to this personally on more than one occasion... a cat NEEDS to eat or they can get a life-threatening condition called hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver). It can develop in as little as 24 hours without eating.

If need be, there are appetite stimulants you can try from your vet, or you can "force feed" her, but a cat that isn't eating is not good.

It sounds like you're already off to a good start though with syringe feeding.

GOOD LUCK!

facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Jessika View Post
    You probably know this so forgive me if you do, but being a witness to this personally on more than one occasion... a cat NEEDS to eat or they can get a life-threatening condition called hepatic lipidosis (fatty liver). It can develop in as little as 24 hours without eating.

If need be, there are appetite stimulants you can try from your vet, or you can "force feed" her, but a cat that isn't eating is not good.

It sounds like you're already off to a good start though with syringe feeding.

GOOD LUCK!
    I've heard this, but there are a lot of skinny cats out there that don't get sick, so I never know what to believe.

I left her food tonight, so we will see. I am hoping that a bit of broth in her tummy might make her feel hungry enough to eat.

I think more liquids might help too.

So how can you give subq at home? I have hypos, so I need to know what and how much fluids to use.

Thanks
    Anne

A skinny cat may still eat. It isn't about how big or little they are, it's about not eating over a certain period of time. And by not eating I don't mean taking a bite here or there, I mean not eating anything, period.

If you're force feeding, that is considered "eating".

You can give SQ fluids at home, but your vet needs to be the one to prescribe them and tell you the correct amount to give to your cat.

facebook