Thread: Dog's Fear of Heat Pump Noise

Dog's Fear of Heat Pump Noise

Need advice.
    Constructed fenced in area next to house where our heat pump is located. Our Lhasa Apso used the dogee door all of last winter and this past summer. For whatever reason now when the heat pump is on, she refuses to go out to do her deed. Not sure what has happened to make her afraid of the unit, but need to correct her of fear and of relieving herself in the house.
    Forcing her out the door does not appear the best idea. Tried putting her in pen and calming her by sitting in the area with her. Still no success.
    Suggestions as to how to train her would be appreciated.

Shegert

Take her outside on a leash when the pump is running, and just walk calmly by it as if it were not there. Distract her with praise and talking, have her do a "sit" and whatever other commands she knows, then praise her. Do this every day, make it part of her routine, and soon she will forget that scary monster that eats small dogs - I mean heat pump is even there!

Remember dogs' hearing is far more acute than ours, so it is likely even louder to her!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Shegert View Post
    Need advice.
    Constructed fenced in area next to house where our heat pump is located. Our Lhasa Apso used the dogee door all of last winter and this past summer. For whatever reason now when the heat pump is on, she refuses to go out to do her deed. Not sure what has happened to make her afraid of the unit, but need to correct her of fear and of relieving herself in the house.
    Forcing her out the door does not appear the best idea. Tried putting her in pen and calming her by sitting in the area with her. Still no success.
    Suggestions as to how to train her would be appreciated.

Shegert
    Thanks. Will welcome any other ideas, but this sounds like a good start.

You're welcome! Dogs can be acclimated to things, it just will take time! I am sure she thinks a doggie-eating monster took up residence in her yard, but eventually she'll catch on!
    I've Been Frosted

i found my dog barking at a pump one day, so i went over to the pump, got down more to her level, and tried to get her to come to me....she did eventually come and we haven't had problems since!!! good luck!