I haven't been around much - its been a loooong summer at work. I'm working 10-12 hour days and 6 days a week. I've stress-ate my way through the summer and gained 25 pounds but the good news is that with working so much, I've never had such a flush bank account.

I asked about a family heirloom as an engagement ring 6 months ago. Everyone thought it would be lovely for him to offer his grandmom's ring to her. I gave it to him and he checked lots of jewelers who all said the same thing: the ring could not be resized enough to fit her. She's got size 9 1/2 fingers and the ring is a size 6.

He's working two jobs right now, and she's still in florida. She's moving up to Pennsylvania next month and he wants to propose. Problem is, he has absolutely no ring and no money to buy one. Enter super step-mom. I told him I'd find something for her, buy it and he can give it to her. I have ordered three rings online so far... all are under $200, none are diamonds. That way he can pick out which ring he wants to present her and I can return the cast-offs.

I asked him what she wants. He said, "She just wants a ring." So that leaves me with LOTS of interpretation. I asked her favorite color: blue. She wears sterling silver, no yellow gold. I asked him if he wants to pick it out himself and he has no idea what to do, and he has given me freedom of choice. He's happy to pick from several rings that I present him. I'm obsessing over picking the right one for this boy! The good thing is that it actually has been stress-relieving because its something to obsess over instead of being in a constant state of stress from work.

Here's my question: Would YOU like a non-tradition ring? If so, what gemstone? What type of setting? If you could attach photos, I'd love to see what someone else would like as a ring.

I soooo wanted a sapphire solitaire when I was young. I got peer-pressured into a diamond by friends, family, and coworkers. I NEVER wear my diamond andmore. I wear the sapphires hubby bought me for special occasions throughout the years. Tony's fiancée-to-be is a LOT like me. Its funny how you're supposed to marry your mom. I never expected that I had enough influence on him to pick out a girl like me.