Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need opinions for my son.

I need opinions for my son.

I haven't been around much - its been a loooong summer at work. I'm working 10-12 hour days and 6 days a week. I've stress-ate my way through the summer and gained 25 pounds but the good news is that with working so much, I've never had such a flush bank account.

I asked about a family heirloom as an engagement ring 6 months ago. Everyone thought it would be lovely for him to offer his grandmom's ring to her. I gave it to him and he checked lots of jewelers who all said the same thing: the ring could not be resized enough to fit her. She's got size 9 1/2 fingers and the ring is a size 6.

He's working two jobs right now, and she's still in florida. She's moving up to Pennsylvania next month and he wants to propose. Problem is, he has absolutely no ring and no money to buy one. Enter super step-mom. I told him I'd find something for her, buy it and he can give it to her. I have ordered three rings online so far... all are under $200, none are diamonds. That way he can pick out which ring he wants to present her and I can return the cast-offs.

I asked him what she wants. He said, "She just wants a ring." So that leaves me with LOTS of interpretation. I asked her favorite color: blue. She wears sterling silver, no yellow gold. I asked him if he wants to pick it out himself and he has no idea what to do, and he has given me freedom of choice. He's happy to pick from several rings that I present him. I'm obsessing over picking the right one for this boy! The good thing is that it actually has been stress-relieving because its something to obsess over instead of being in a constant state of stress from work.

Here's my question: Would YOU like a non-tradition ring? If so, what gemstone? What type of setting? If you could attach photos, I'd love to see what someone else would like as a ring.

I soooo wanted a sapphire solitaire when I was young. I got peer-pressured into a diamond by friends, family, and coworkers. I NEVER wear my diamond andmore. I wear the sapphires hubby bought me for special occasions throughout the years. Tony's fiancée-to-be is a LOT like me. Its funny how you're supposed to marry your mom. I never expected that I had enough influence on him to pick out a girl like me.

I'd go with sapphire in white gold. My wedding ring is a family heirloom from Paul's grandmother, but is platinum with sapphires on the sides, and I love it. It also does not have prongs that stick out and catch on things, which is great!

White gold won't tarnish, or wear down as quickly as sterling might, and it will look like the silver she prefers over yellow gold.

It will be her ring, special to her, who cares if "fashion" dictates a diamond solitaire?
    I've Been Frosted

And. I had meant to add - whatever ring he decides on (with your help, of course) will be special to her, and something different will give her a conversation starter with friends. When one sees yet another diamond solitaire, one tends to just say 'ooh, how pretty" and move on to other plans, but something different would be a reflection of her unique personality, and his respect for it!
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    What is her birthstone?

I have a lab created emerald cut sapphire surrounded by small lab created diamonds in a sterling setting. I've had it for years, and tho I don't wear it everyday, it looks like new. Everyone thinks it's real! Yeah - if it was, I'd be rich!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I personally like simple (like Rachel's she just got!). My mom's first ring is very gaudy (IMO) and her second one has a single diamond, but the setting is too high. I'd constantly be scratching myself and catching it on things. My ideal ring would be a band with maybe stones set IN it.

If she has the same taste as you then I'm thinking you can't go wrong! I'm sure she will love whatever you and he choose.
    I know I'd like ANY kind of ring from my boyfriend (after 10 years!!).
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Another option would be to ask jewelers about using the stones etc., from the grandmother's ring and resetting it, into a band that would fit her.
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I'm not trying to be a know-it-all, but any jeweler worth his salt, could revise this ring to fit. My dad was in watch and jewelry repair, and he could take the whole top part of the ring where the stones are, and make an entirely new shank to a larger size, and not just cut the bottom of the shank and stretch it out and add a piece to make it larger. Basically what is being done, is cutting the top off and soldering it to a larger shank. Perhaps this is an art that the young-uns have never learned?????
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    I'm not trying to be a know-it-all, but any jeweler worth his salt, could revise this ring to fit. My dad was in watch and jewelry repair, and he could take the whole top part of the ring where the stones are, and make an entirely new shank to a larger size, and not just cut the bottom of the shank and stretch it out and add a piece to make it larger. Basically what is being done, is cutting the top off and soldering it to a larger shank. Perhaps this is an art that the young-uns have never learned?????
    Most stores now send things off, and will not enlarge over 2 sizes at a time. Catnapper, I'd go to the longest-established jeweler in town, and ask for the owner - someone with grey hair might better understand!
    I've Been Frosted

I asked several jewelers and got frustrated with the "no we can't do it". I was talking to a customer one day last month who is actually is a talented jewelry designer who travels around the country as a guest lecturer/teacher at colleges, and she explained how its basically redesigning an entire new ring. She gave me a quote that made my jaw drop. Maybe in ten years or so they could afford it, but right now, its not a realistic cost for him to spend.

She just wants a ring. I think she'd be happy with something from the bubblegum machine.

He just wants to put a ring on her finger. He wants it to be a smidgen nicer than something from a bubblegum machine

I'm having fun looking at jewelry for him. I bought myself a couple of baubles too

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper View Post
    I asked several jewelers and got frustrated with the "no we can't do it". I was talking to a customer one day last month who is actually is a talented jewelry designer who travels around the country as a guest lecturer/teacher at colleges, and she explained how its basically redesigning an entire new ring. She gave me a quote that made my jaw drop. Maybe in ten years or so they could afford it, but right now, its not a realistic cost for him to spend.

She just wants a ring. I think she'd be happy with something from the bubblegum machine.

He just wants to put a ring on her finger. He wants it to be a smidgen nicer than something from a bubblegum machine

I'm having fun looking at jewelry for him. I bought myself a couple of baubles too
    Okay! He can give her that ring on a chain sometime, too!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by catnapper View Post

If you know what her tastes are, find something that reflects those tastes.

As for enlarging the ring: Jewlers no longer replace watch crystals either. The companies won't let them or so I'm told.

It seems no one is willing to put in the time these days. Everything is instantaneous. SIGH.

And the jewelers probably don't want to mess with the ring, so they quote a high price. I find that to be the standard these days for most special orders.

Good luck with the ring. And really good costume jewelry is expensive, too. Looks really nice and sometimes it's hard to tell the difference. Except the price will be way cheaper than the real thing.

And congrats to your son and his fiance.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

You said she wears silver and cubics can be just as lovely so...why not check out the actual store that has the free silver jewelry. The store has more selection, some really nice stuff and you can even choose to build your own ring so you can sapphire accent stones to keep it more unique.

Here's the link.

This is one of my favorites from there.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	3R0040.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	57196

My rainbow bridge babies have forever left their paw prints on my heart.
    Lilith & Vixen, taken too soon. I love you always.

Signatures, avatars & blinkies if anyone wants one pm me with color,
    font and background preference and with pics and names of pets.

Lilith's Catster Page Vixen's Catster Page

Vote for my furry ones on the cat & dog channels
    Vixen, Bella, Vega, Frost, Phoenix & Artica

Quote Originally Posted by kittycats_delight View Post
    You said she wears silver and cubics can be just as lovely so...why not check out the actual store that has the free silver jewelry. The store has more selection, some really nice stuff and you can even choose to build your own ring so you can sapphire accent stones to keep it more unique.

Here's the link.

This is one of my favorites from there.

Name:	3R0040.jpg 
Views:	72 
Size:	109.6 KB 
ID:	57196

Wow, there are some great rings on the CZ website. The one you picked out is beautiful. I also like the silver mesh ring. I've never seen one like it before.
    The prices seem very reasonable.
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

In case you are wondering, one of the most famous engagement rings of our time is not diamonds...

Name:	ring.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	8.6 KB 
ID:	57199

Yup, in fact the first ring I bought is a shameless imitation of it

I'm so stinkin' excited that they're coming - I bought 4 rings, all various shapes and shades of blue. The cheapest is an emerald cut aquamarine with a blue stone called kyanite on the sides for a whole $23 and the most expensive is a white gold knockoff of the Princess's ring. I found a clearance tanzanite solitaire in gold for... wait for it.... $85!!! The first should arrive in tomorrow's mail (at least according to the tracking info)

I took Tony to the mall last night to get him to look at rings just to see what style he has in mind.... nope. He had absolutely no interest in looking at jewelry. He also claims she is nothing like me. Hubby and I laughed. She's a carbon copy of me, except she likes sports.