Thread: Alani Is In The ICU For A Few Days

Hybrid View

Alani Is In The ICU For A Few Days

I can't seem to catch a break with my cats. This morning Alani was trying to use the litter box but nothing was coming out. He did manage to make one tiny pee drop. He was also licking himself down there and seemed to be in pain. Although he ate his breakfast, he later threw it up. I knew he was either partially blocked or totally blocked so I took him to my vet hospital asap. Luckily they're open 24 hours a day because they're also an emergency hospital. Yes, he's blocked and is now in the ICU for probably the next few days. I'll visit him later today and hopefully find out more. Please keep him in your thoughts and prayers.

Oh no, poor Alani. I remember how Fister struggled and had to be catheterized several times before the big operation. I hope something can be done and Alani will be OK. Perhaps a strict diet.

Give him some kisses from me when you visit.

(((hugs)))

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Thanks Randi. He only eats grain free dry cat food and gets chicken broth at night. Both Alani & Blaze don't do well on any canned food that I've tried giving to them. They love it but it gives them diarrhea. The vet mentioned about putting him on a urinary diet probably one of the prescription ones which have horrible ingredients and then end up making cats fat. Storm was on a few and they never really helped him and just made all of my cats fat. My vet is also working today so this vet was going to talk to her and I hope to have more food options available to me. I would like to stick with a grain free diet if I can.

Awww, poor Alani, hope they get it solved soon!
    I've Been Frosted

Prayers on the way for you both. Get well soon sweet Alani!!!
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thanks everyone. I just talked to the vet. She said that he has a lot of struvite crystals and he some how did some damage to the tip of his penis possibly by biting or licking it a lot. It may have scar tissue so I need to be prepared in case he needs PU surgery. His blood work looks good. I'll be visting him later today and I'll be talking more to my vet about him tomorrow.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Prayers for Alani - that he is doing better and able to go home soon.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Hugs and prayers for you and Alani

Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Thanks everyone. I went to visit Alani and he's wearing an e-collar and resting comfortably on several towels and fleece fabric too. When I pet his head he started purring very loudly and it almost sounded like he was snoring. They are giving him sub-q fluids and he's on pain meds and antibiotics. To me his output didn't look very good. They hadn't even changed his urine bag yet and there was very little in it and it's blood tinged as well. For the tip of his penis to become so bad, he must've been licking himself without my knowledge for quite some time. Maybe even having the other 5 cats around was enough cause him more stress which contributed to his blockage. I received an estimate for PU surgery if my vet thinks he needs it. I know it's expensive but I think that it would actually save me money long term. If he blocked again then I'd basically be paying the same amount that his surgery would've cost once again just for him being in the ICU for a few days. I just want all of this to be over and Alani back home again and happy and healthy once again. I think that Blaze also misses him.

Aww, glad you got to visit with him! Hopefully you and he will get answers and relief soon!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    Thanks everyone. ... I just want all of this to be over and Alani back home again and happy and healthy once again. I think that Blaze also misses him.
    They do miss each other, even when they don't get along. Praying for Alani to get better soon and be home with you and Blaize and the rest.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Continuing prayers and good wishes and healing energies for Alani and you, Tracey. We hope this can be resolved soon and he is back home again with Blaze and all his family.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Update

Thanks again everyone.

I finally heard back from my vet. Alani is doing well. He's well hydrated and his input and output are good. His problem now is the damaged tip of his penis. Since he'll most likely develop scar tissue there if he hasn't already and also most likely block again in the future, we both agreed that doing the PU surgery was the best option. She'll be doing it some time this afternoon and she said that he'll probably be able to come home some time tomorrow. Please send some positive vibes his way. Thanks.