In the past, I've always taken my cats individually to the vet since they have always had different schedules for when they went. Usually, there's a bit of fuss from the one who stays home smelling the vet's office on the one who went. About a year after Casey came home, he began throwing fits at the vet's office, letting everybody in the building know that he didn't want to be there. After that visit, my vet gave me some sedatives to give him before bringing him to help calm him down.

Last year when I took Smokey to the vet, I tried rubbing him down with a dryer sheet when we got home to get a different smell on him. That seemed to help. However, things got worse when it was Casey's turn to go. Smokey, normally the calm one, went nuts when Casey came home, literally going at him with Casey trying to get away from him.

This year, I got my reminder in the mail and online from my vet's office that Smokey was due for his yearly exam. Looking at both of their records, I asked my vet if we could do Casey as well since his appointment wasn't too far in the future, thinking that would possibly get the vet's smell on both and further reduce any issues at home. She agreed that it might help.

I took both Casey and Smokey this morning for their yearly vet visit. Casey was hissing and growling at me when I put him in the carrier, which is normal since he knows where he's about to go. At the vet's office, Casey threw his usual tantrums while Smokey cried and hid wherever he could. Once we got home, things got worse. Casey was still hissing and growling at me. Both were hissing, growling, and occasionally going at each other. This afternoon, there has been some fur flying with Smokey seeming to be the primary aggressor, even though they were best friends this morning. It's been about eight hours so far since we got home, and while they are now able to be in the same room as each other, they're still hissing and growling when they get too close to each other.

Anybody have any suggestions on how to calm them down after vet visits?

Name:  vet.jpg
Views: 56
Size:  41.2 KB