Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: France moves to ban child beauty pageants

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Well, how about banning the contests from being televised? That would remove some motivation for the moms. And sparks - perhaps televising these pageants makes it seem ok for young girls to wear heels and minis in public, like the one you saw?

It's not a fun thing for kids, it's a meat market. I wish they could just be kids instead of commodities.
    I honesty don't believe that these pageants are what is teachig kids to dress like that. I would say advertising and celebrities are the more likely reasons. Do they televise kids pageants? I mean other than the "reality" shows on TLC. Or do you mean like miss America pageant and such? Anyway, no I do not believe that the pageants are the reason for the trends

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Well, how about banning the contests from being televised? (
    Europe can do what they will, but in the United States we have a little demon called the First amendment.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

That's why I am hesitant on the whole thing. It seems like there are probably bigger issues to be dealing with.

Not only that, but because a country bans the child pageants doesn't mean that the parents think it's wrong. They can still let their kids walk around like this, like the child Sparks saw. The parents will just find another outlet.