Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: France moves to ban child beauty pageants

France moves to ban child beauty pageants

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-24145119

Let's hope this becomes law and is adopted worldwide!

Parliament in France has moved to ban child beauty pageants on the grounds that they promote the "hyper-sexualisation" of minors. The Senate adopted the bill by 196 votes to 146 on Tuesday evening. It must now be passed by the National Assembly, before becoming law.
    Organisers of such pageants may face a jail term of up to two years and a fine of 30,000 euros (£25,000; $40,000).
    The measure was prompted by a row over a photo shoot in Vogue magazine.
    The photos published in December 2010 showed a girl of 10 with two others, all three in heavy make-up and wearing tight dresses, high heels and expensive jewellery.
    Vogue defended the pictures, saying they merely portrayed a common fantasy among young girls - to dress like their mother.
    Parliament heard a report entitled Against Hyper-Sexualisation: A New Fight For Equality, which called for the ban on beauty competitions for the under-16s. It also recommended other measures, not included in the bill, including a ban on child-size adult clothing such as padded bras and high-heeled shoes.
    "Let us not make our girls believe from a very young age that their worth is only judged by their appearance," said the author of the report, former Sports Minister Chantal Jouanno.
    Read more at the link.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Isn't that a bit extreme? I don't like child beauty pageants but some kids legitimately enjoy performing in them for the fun of it. Doesn't seem very fair to me. I'm obviously not talking about the kids that are made to do it and to go tanning, etc but I think that is a bit ridiculous. Some kids enjoy putting on dresses and make-up, I don't see why it should be "banned" but I do think there is some major problems that come with it. I'd never put my kid in one ever but I think banning them is a little bit ridiculous.

Alysser, I think banning professional pageants is a good idea.

Yes, kids like to dress up - maybe dress-up days at school or community centres or whatever? And watch out for pedophiles who may want to attend...

The professional pageants put a lot of pressure on kids, and can turn parents into monsters. Especially the moms. Look at how some parents behave at children's hockey games.

The professional pageants are a whole new level of evil. I like the part of the article where it talks about also banning 'grown-up' clothes for children. There are some that are not age-appropriate.
    "... child-size adult clothing such as padded bras and high-heeled shoes." I mean - come on!

ETA: Looks like it's done already: http://www.timeslive.co.za/lifestyle...year-old-girls

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Alysser, I think banning professional pageants is a good idea.

Yes, kids like to dress up - maybe dress-up days at school or community centres or whatever? And watch out for pedophiles who may want to attend...

The professional pageants put a lot of pressure on kids, and can turn parents into monsters. Especially the moms. Look at how some parents behave at children's hockey games.

The professional pageants are a whole new level of evil. I like the part of the article where it talks about also banning 'grown-up' clothes for children. There are some that are not age-appropriate.
    "... child-size adult clothing such as padded bras and high-heeled shoes." I mean - come on!

ETA: Looks like it's done already: http://www.timeslive.co.za/lifestyle...year-old-girls
    I guess I see what you mean, I just think they should have some alternatives then. A dress-up day at school or something would be a good idea, and at least you'd know they were safe. I don't agree with three year olds wearing padded bras or anything, I mean that's ridiculous in itself. I just know some kids really enjoy it, but on the flip side, some parents force it on their children. I know pedophiles were an issue to. But I do think for the kids who genuinely like APPROPRIATE Dressing up and showing off they should give them some options for fun, safe little fake pageants I guess.

I do not think banning pageants will have much effect - people will just find some other venues to "show off" their kids. I mean, have you seen some "dance" contest outfits? "Halloween" costumes? It is up to parents to set boundaries about what their kids wear, and obviously not all parents are created equally! And it appears the controversy that sparked this law was started not by anything to do with pageants, but a magazine photo spread in French Vogue - far from the pageant stage!
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I'm not necessarily in favor of banning them, but I'd love to see lots and lots of restrictions. Keep it age appropriate regarding clothing, accessories, makeup and hairdos. Ban the tanning and the removable dental work that make it look like they have a set of perfect teeth. Ban the sexually suggestive posing. Let that 5 year old look like a 5 year old, and not a mini street walker - and that was the most polite way I could say it, tho other words would be far more accurate! Who will they imitate or emulate next - Miley Cyrus???

Sure - little girls like to play dressup - I know I did when I was a kid - and my other little friends and I did it rather often. But I can say with a very big amount of certainty, that the little girls in these pageants are not doing it because they want to, and it's their mothers (and fathers to a lesser degree), that are pushing them into it. These mothers are nothing more than failed wannabe beauty queens, and they are living what they failed to accomplish, thru their daughters. If they would only get it thru their vain and selfish skulls and see what potential danger they are putting their daughters in. Every pedophile out there can view these girls without anyone ever knowing,, and we all know where that can lead. Look at JonBenet Ramsey. Even tho her killer has never been found and of course I can only speculate, but I believe it was some sicko who saw her in a pageant, or photos of her, or even just playing in her own yard. I can't believe that any mother would put her daughter in potential harm's way, for the sake of a trophy, and place herself in financial straights and a less than a desirable relationship with her husband - all for the glory that isn't even hers.
    And don't even get me started on the marvelous show that airs here in The States - Toddlers & Tiarras. I could just barf...........
    Last edited by pomtzu; 09-18-2013 at 01:54 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Thank you, Ellie, you said pretty much everything I wanted to say. Those pageants aren't about little girls playing dress-up, they're about adults dressing and making up children to look like tarts.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    I do not think banning pageants will have much effect - people will just find some other venues to "show off" their kids. I mean, have you seen some "dance" contest outfits? "Halloween" costumes? It is up to parents to set boundaries about what their kids wear, and obviously not all parents are created equally! And it appears the controversy that sparked this law was started not by anything to do with pageants, but a magazine photo spread in French Vogue - far from the pageant stage!
    This reminds me of a huge pet peeve of mine - anyone ever notice how sexualized girls' Halloween costumes are? As the mom of a 4-year old girl, this really bothers me. I remember last year I was looking online for a girls' vet costume (since my daughter already wants to be a vet ) - when looking under the category "jobs" I noticed plenty of things marketed to boys - police officer, fireman, doctor, etc. - and in the girls' section it included a cheerleader, a dancer, and a "gypsy." Huh?

It would help if they would stop putting the contests on tv too. I don't usually watch them but once in a while while channel flipping I've popped in on one. One lady was bragging how much her child LOVED doing the pagents while the child was crying and screaming she didn't want to do it. Lots of partents hop their kids up on Pixie stix which is nothing but flavored sugar or give them sugared water to keep their energy up. That is just plain wrong in my opinion. What next, give them a shot of vodka to calm them down????
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Why ban something every time someone doesn't like it?

Can you say "overly intrusive government"?

I knew you could.

Don't like the contests? Don't attend them, don't watch them on TV.

No audience, no money, they go bye bye.

People need to stop looking to the government to solve niggling problems. It distracts from the real issues.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Quote Originally Posted by Pembroke_Corgi View Post
    This reminds me of a huge pet peeve of mine - anyone ever notice how sexualized girls' Halloween costumes are? As the mom of a 4-year old girl, this really bothers me. I remember last year I was looking online for a girls' vet costume (since my daughter already wants to be a vet ) - when looking under the category "jobs" I noticed plenty of things marketed to boys - police officer, fireman, doctor, etc. - and in the girls' section it included a cheerleader, a dancer, and a "gypsy." Huh?
    Sheesh! Like girls don't wanna be police officers, doctors, etc? Who decided Halloween costumes needed to be gender specific in their marketing, anyway? There are male dancers (Hello, Fred Astaire), male gypsies, and male cheerleaders - watch any college halftime show ...
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post

I knew you could.

People need to stop looking to the government to solve niggling problems. It distracts from the real issues.
    This pretty much sums it up for me. Why do they need to be banned? Why does someone else have to come in and "save us from ourselves"? Will this solve the problem of parents living vicariously through their kids and kids dressing like mini adults? NO... banning this would be a bandaid and nothing more. There was a family at McDonalds one day and the little girl couldn't have been more than 7 or 8 and she was wearing high heels, a mini skirt and a belly top. Treating the symptoms doesn't cure the disease.

For Halloween this year Hannah has decided she wants to be.... Maleficent LOL. Of all things. We have to get creative though because they don't make child sized Maleficent costumes. Hannah says "Why not?" and I told her "Because MOST little girls don't want to dress up like the villain LOL

R.I.P my dear Sweet Teddy. You will be missed forever. We love you.

http://www.hannahshands.etsy.com

Well, how about banning the contests from being televised? That would remove some motivation for the moms. And sparks - perhaps televising these pageants makes it seem ok for young girls to wear heels and minis in public, like the one you saw?

It's not a fun thing for kids, it's a meat market. I wish they could just be kids instead of commodities.

Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post

I knew you could.

Who decides what the "real issues" are? If enough people speak out for or against something does it then become an "issue" in need of guide lines?
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by lizbud View Post
    Who decides what the "real issues" are? If enough people speak out for or against something does it then become an "issue" in need of guide lines?
    "Real" issues?

In the United States, the Constitution makes the scope of Federal powers fairly clear. War, the economy, little things like that.

The federal government should have bigger fish to fry than deciding if kids should wear dresses on a runway. Maybe figure out the deficit for a start like they're Constitutionally obligated to, rather than constantly wasting time on minor issues?
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.