Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: We Will Not Forget

Thank you, Ellie.

That wasn't an attack of New York City, it was an attack of the United States of America. And we ALL have been involved in Middle East turmoil ever since, directly as a result. With many people from not just New York City but all over this country becoming casualties in that turmoil.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    I should shut my mouth while I'm ahead, but I never have in the past, so why start now??

It is absolutely unconscionable to me, that 9/11 can go untaught and/or unacknowledged by so many people in this country. Just because you live in a particular part of the country, or you don't feel that it should be taught in schools for whatever lame reasons are given, or because it didn't directly affect you or your family or your friends, is that a valid reason to look the other way??? What the hell is wrong with people????? We are the United States - are we not?????
    No, we've become a fractious polity that cannot, with honesty, be called the United anything.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by Lady's Human View Post
    No, we've become a fractious polity that cannot, with honesty, be called the United anything.
    Sadly, I believe that you are correct.

Ya know - all of this lack of acknowledging the day, let alone the people, brings to mind something that falls under the UNITED theme.

Delaware has sent their team of firefighters that specialize in wildfires, out west on several occasions so far in this season that has been devastated by so many fires. Do they not go because it's out west and doesn't affect them, it's not in their backyard or even remotely close, their property, family and animals are not in danger, etc. Do they say "sorry 'bout your luck" (or worse which I can't say here) - it's your problem -- you deal with it? No - they unite with firefighters from all over the country and work as a team.

United we stand - and I do believe that everybody knows the rest of that saying.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    That's sad - there were people from the South killed in the towers that day! I hope you mention it to the school, and maybe today - or even next year - you can have some sort of at least special moment in commemoration. Even if the kids do not know anyone who was in the towers that day, I am betting they know people in the military whose lives were directly influenced by that day. Soldiers who were killed or injured in the resulting "war on terror" would be a powerful lesson for the kids. Especially as many of those killed have been young men and women not much older than them.
    I might try. It is amazing how many racially bigoted, yet morally superb people we have on staff. If you were in NYC that day, then you got what you deserved. And these are nice folks. However no Black History month in this district. My new district is rural although I didn't have to move, and it isn't that far.

My next point leads to another argument altogether so I'll keep it brief. We always sang patriotic songs in chirch on important national holidays. I was raised on a military base, but I don't see the difference. I asked about it on July 4th right before 9/11, at a Baptist church for which I was providing music. "no, no patriotic music here. That's them, not us." Some churches do not want to honor their country, yet want a say in the government. Let's continue this later in another discussion, please.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

Not teaching about 9/11 is an insult to many: the police and firefighters that ran into the burning towers and never made it out; the civilians from MANY States and countries who didn't make it out of the towers or were on those airplanes; the soldiers, sailors and Marines who tried to bring AQ to justice; all the people who were part of the rebuilding and healing process. My opinions about the negative aspects of the aftermath are best left for the Dog House.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb