Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: We Will Not Forget

We Will Not Forget

Twelve years ago now, hard to believe it has been that long, all our lives were changed when terrorists flew planes full of ordinary people into the World Trade Towers, the Pentagon, and one plane was taken down by brave passengers in a Pennsylvania field.

So many, many people died, and I will never forget the anguished screams of the man who worked in the first floor of the building I was working in at the time. We all were gathered around the small TV in my boss's office, and watched, stunned, as the second plane his the New York towers.

All flights were suspended, and the air above us in Boston on that bright sunny day was suddenly silent. Sounds so ordinary and expected - the busy traffic going to and from Logan Airport - was conspicuous in its absence. Later that was interrupted by the loud passages of fighter jets on patrol.

Pet Talkers with loved ones in New York were franticly trying to reach them, but cell phone traffic was down, and when it came back up, was overloaded. Images of the firefighters and police and dogs searching for survivors is burned into all our brains forever.

We will not forget. We will teach the children who were yet to be born that day. We will not forget.
    I've Been Frosted

In our area, children are not taught about 9-11. It isn't in the history books, and is deemed too un-PC to teach, as we might offend a race/ethnicity/religion. Kind of sad. Adults will remember, most of our children have no idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    In our area, children are not taught about 9-11. It isn't in the history books, and is deemed too un-PC to teach, as we might offend a race/ethnicity/religion. Kind of sad. Adults will remember, most of our children have no idea.
    Now that's sad. But I do know I learned more history from my parents and from my own reading than I learned in school - I grew up in a home packed with books!
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    OMG - that is awful - and so not right. Who was pious and pompous enough to make that call and to then have it enforced? Why is fact and reality banned? Ignore it and bury your head in the sand and you don't have to face it - to teach the children - and to answer all of their difficult to answer questions???? Yes - such a brilliant way to teach and inform. Unbelievable!!!!

It's not just "kind of said" as you said, Johanna - it's damn sad to the max.

I don't think I will ever forget one minute of what happened that day - it is burned into my memory - as ugly as it may be. To witness as it happened - the death of thousands of innocent people - is something that is not easily erased from our minds - and it shouldn't be. Let it be a reminder - "there but for the grace of God, go I", and count your blessings that you are still here to remember. Thousands can't.......
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

It's a quiet day for me for a couple of reasons... My church lost an associate pastor on the plane that was headed from Boston to L.A. Today in particular - on 9/11/01 I had just started a new job and was going to train with a nurse who worked from her home. She lives not very far from where I'm working now, so I found myself going the exact same route at almost the same time, on another sunny September morning. I'm glad this day is almost over.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    OMG - that is awful - and so not right. Who was pious and pompous enough to make that call and to then have it enforced? Why is fact and reality banned? Ignore it and bury your head in the sand and you don't have to face it - to teach the children - and to answer all of their difficult to answer questions???? Yes - such a brilliant way to teach and inform. Unbelievable!!!!

It's not just "kind of said" as you said, Johanna - it's damn sad to the max.
    POM- I didn't mean to suggest that it was an intentional decision, it just is. Fact and reality, IMO, as it relates to American history in this country, has been mis-represented forever. I think of the Native American Indians as an example. Political Science as WE know it, doesn't seem to comport with what the rest of the world knows.

POM- I didn't mean to suggest that it was an intentional decision, it just is. Fact and reality, IMO, as it relates to American history in this country, has been mis-represented forever. I think of the Native American Indians as an example. Political Science as WE know it, doesn't seem to comport with what the rest of the world knows.
    It all depends on who is writing the history. Regardless of who is writing it their national bias normally comes out.
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

My Dad was on a plane from Newark Airport. I'm just thankful that it wasn't his plane. Seriously, I cannot imagine the loss. It's so sad. I will never forget. Being in third grade, I didn't really understand it but it really showed you the evil that exists.

Just asked J what was said in class about 9/11. Nothing. Not a single thing in class. The morning announcements led a moment of silence, but the actual events- nada. He is in a blended class of 1-3rd graders (montessori).

Our town had a special event. Our fort put 7,000 American flags on the parade grounds in memory of those lost on 9/11 and the govenor came and gave a speech. Our fort was built in the 1850s and often have re-enactments with both settlers and Native Americans represented.

PC really burns me up. It's like some people refuse to acknowledge other people even exist. It takes all people from all backgrounds to make history. By not teaching about them is an injustace to not only their memory, but to the ones who miss out on a lot by not knowing true history.

I've done a lot of research on my family history. I have English, German, Irish, Scottish, Welsh, French, and Native Americans on my tree. While, I'm not proud of what some of them may have done I am proud to be related to everyone of them. Which one(s) would I boot out to please the PC people?
    No matter what anyone does, someone some where will be offended some how!!!!
    MY BLESSINGS:
    Grandma (RB), Chester, Angel, Chip

Leonardo (RB), Luke (RB), Winnie, Chuck,

Frankie

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    WHERE YOU ARE IS WHERE YOU ARE SUPPOSED TO BE!!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Just asked J what was said in class about 9/11. Nothing. Not a single thing in class. The morning announcements led a moment of silence, but the actual events- nada. He is in a blended class of 1-3rd graders (montessori).
    And I shake my head in disbelief. I can understand - given the age of the students in J's class - not going into gory and specific details - but there must be a "kinder and gentler way" to teach the basics of what transpired without scaring them. Do you know what the middle and high schools do? - do they approach the subject at all? It's an event in U.S, history and needs to be taught - just like the Civil War, WW1, WW2, Viet Nam, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by momoffuzzyfaces View Post

PC really burns me up. It's like some people refuse to acknowledge other people even exist. It takes all people from all backgrounds to make history. By not teaching about them is an injustace to not only their memory, but to the ones who miss out on a lot by not knowing true history.
    Exactly!
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

I remember where I was that sad day.

Here in the South, New York is a foreign country. Not many people were that upset. It was like the infidels (NYC) deserved it. I was living in a small town then. But there were no events at our high school today. I was off, but checked the email. nothing.

It's like what happens up north doesn't affect us.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

A day I'll never forget.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Quote Originally Posted by mrspunkysmom View Post
    I remember where I was that sad day.

Here in the South, New York is a foreign country. Not many people were that upset. It was like the infidels (NYC) deserved it. I was living in a small town then. But there were no events at our high school today. I was off, but checked the email. nothing.

It's like what happens up north doesn't affect us.

That's sad - there were people from the South killed in the towers that day! I hope you mention it to the school, and maybe today - or even next year - you can have some sort of at least special moment in commemoration. Even if the kids do not know anyone who was in the towers that day, I am betting they know people in the military whose lives were directly influenced by that day. Soldiers who were killed or injured in the resulting "war on terror" would be a powerful lesson for the kids. Especially as many of those killed have been young men and women not much older than them.
    I've Been Frosted

I should shut my mouth while I'm ahead, but I never have in the past, so why start now??

It is absolutely unconscionable to me, that 9/11 can go untaught and/or unacknowledged by so many people in this country. Just because you live in a particular part of the country, or you don't feel that it should be taught in schools for whatever lame reasons are given, or because it didn't directly affect you or your family or your friends, is that a valid reason to look the other way??? What the hell is wrong with people????? We are the United States - are we not?????
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013