Thread: Is it spraying or urinating?...and why now?

Is it spraying or urinating?...and why now?

I have 2 cats, both female. Roxy who is 5 yrs old & lazy and Serena who is 2 yrs old & loves to bully Roxy.Both are indoor cats & were fixed as kittens,neither has ever sprayed or peed outside their litter box. I noticed yesterday the smell of cat pee or spray on Serena and the foot of my bed where she lays & a few days before the same odor on a blouse i had left on my bed in which I wore to work that morning. (a coworker of mine who owns 30+ cats & smells like a litter box herself- we work in close quarters. its aweful). My cat spraying started after I worked with tht person) could I have brought the odors from my coworker home that caused my cat to spray in my bed & clothes?they or she never sprayed before . The area wasnt wet but the odor penetrated right down to the matress. I was so disgusted!IMy questiion is how do I stop it? is it for certaiin Serena did this & not Roxy and why now? I know stress can cause spraying and latrly Serena has been anti social, a bit paranoid & hides out under my bed most of the day. Any advise jn regards to all of the above concerns?

If you sniff your own clothes after you leave work, do they smell of cat because of your coworker? This could definitely make your kitty want to "mark" you as hers if she feels threatened by that.

First though, I'd make a vet appointment to make sure she doesn't have a urinary tract infection or some other medical issue going on, as her other behavior could be caused by some illness ...
    I've Been Frosted

I think it could be caused by the odor transfer from your co-worker.

I would clean, clean, clean the area with a product called OdorXit. You can get it online, and in some retail shops here in the US. Use it exactly how directed. I would also super up my cleaning of the litter boxes. I would make sure I have given my cats NO reason not to use the boxes. I would make sure I haven't changed litter lately, and if I did, I would change back pronto.

A lot of people on here will tell you to go get your kitties medically checked out. I don't think that is really necessary 95% of the time.

Quote Originally Posted by Cataholic View Post
    A lot of people on here will tell you to go get your kitties medically checked out. I don't think that is really necessary 95% of the time.
    I only recommended it in this case because of her other behavior issues combined with the inappropriate peeing. One of the other, and I'd not necessarily recommend it, but with both it seems better safe than sorry!
    I've Been Frosted

Thank u both for your advice. Since Serena's due for her check up, I'm going to mention it to her vet. Btw, Im no longer working with that stinky coworker, so hopefully that was the cause and it won't happen again. Im crazy abt my cats & Serena is my fav but the stench of cat urine is unbearable. Thanks again :-)

I agree, with her other changes in behavior, rule out a UTI. And yes, the odor of other cats can trigger this behavior.

Something you may want to consider: you can buy a water proof mattress protector at WalMart, about $30 for the full size bed. It is fitted and goes under the fitted sheet. You can just routinely have that on the bed, to protect the mattress from any and all future issues (cat, human, whatever). Washing the sheets and bedding is a nuisance. But trying to get the odor out of a mattress is very difficult! And if they smell it -- even their own -- they tend to go back to that spot again and again.

I also keep one of those protectors on my sofa, under the slip cover. Same reason, I can wash the slip cover, but getting the odor out of the sofa cushions is really not possible. Of course, I have more pets than you do!

With all due respect, Johanna, the FIRST thing that should be done is to rule out a UTI, which means a trip to the vet. Maybe YOU don't feel that way, but there could very well be an underlying medical problem. Just 'sayin.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

10 cats, 25 years living with cats- 98% of the time it is behavioural. Ask your vet. Just sayin'.

Cataholic,

Until you have a DVM at the end of your name, I'd suggest you stick to what you know...LAW.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

It is much easier to rule out a medical cause for any problem rather than sit around assuming it is behavioral when it's not.

It may be behavioral 95% of the time... but unless you are a vet or take your pet to the vet, you cannot assume a prognosis.

facebook

Donna-until you have your meds regulated, hush up.

What is going on here? That comment to Donna, who BTW I do not know personally, is uncalled for. I agree with her and with Jessika who as a vet tech has professional experience. Better to get things checked out than to worry. Ultimately the kitty's owner will decide the best course to take, she was only asking for opinions.

Litterati,

I must've struck a nerve or she wouldn't have responded. Don't fret, her obnoxiousness has been going on for years.

Cataholic, who seems to get her kicks out of insulting me, thinks because she has a J.D. she's an expert in everything. I ignore her crass comments. Not worth the air I breathe.

As for what I do or don't know about inappropriate litter box elimination, it is a healthy dose of knowledge, vet "expert" or not. Not knowing someone's financial situation, like you, Donna...lots of flush cash, right?, I would never rush a female cat to the vet- with what the OP told us. People have the right to their own opinions.
    Last edited by Cataholic; 09-13-2013 at 02:03 PM.

Everyone, remember - this is Pet Talk. You can express differing opinions, but please stay polite! We are all here because we love our pets!
    I've Been Frosted