Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Need your Prayers for Emily

How old is Emily? I hope this is just a bump in the road for her.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    How old is Emily? I hope this is just a bump in the road for her.
    She is at least 15. I've only had her for two years. She was hyperthyroid before I acquired her and went without meds for a few months since the previous human didn't tell me she was sick. She did tell me she had liver trouble early on but survived it.

Over the last year her illness has been hard on her. Hard to treat or maintain. She's been drinking at least a quart of water each day for a while now. along with peeing a whole lot, she also has diarrhea. Apparently kidney issues accompany the hyperthyroidism, but the experts aren't sure why. The data isn't in yet.

I've tried holistic diets, grain free food, etc. The medicine makes her sick. It makes her nauseous, and she vomits, thus not eating. So she doesn't get what she needs in medicine or vitamins. She's not gaining the weight although she eats like a starving kitty when off her meds.

She know longer sleeps in the living room or hallway, Always in the kitchen but on the floor. When I first acquired her slept in the kitchen but on the cat tree, SIGH.

She's been ill for a while. I just haven't said much. I tried to get help. SIGH.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

If I give Mac too high a dosage of Tapazole, he vomits and gets diarrhea. Why not try halving her current dose and see if that helps. My vet told me that the dosage of they need will fluctuate over time. Sometimes they need more, sometimes less. Right now, Mac is on one-half of a 5 mg. pill once a day. If he starts to get lethargic or lose more weight (he has never put on much weight since his diagnosis), I give him half a pill every other day and half a pill twice the other day. You can regulate this med on your own. I hope this helps.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Quote Originally Posted by katladyd View Post
    If I give Mac too high a dosage of Tapazole, he vomits and gets diarrhea. Why not try halving her current dose and see if that helps. My vet told me that the dosage of they need will fluctuate over time. Sometimes they need more, sometimes less. Right now, Mac is on one-half of a 5 mg. pill once a day. If he starts to get lethargic or lose more weight (he has never put on much weight since his diagnosis), I give him half a pill every other day and half a pill twice the other day. You can regulate this med on your own. I hope this helps.
    Thank you. I did try that. She felt better on half dose daily, but didn't gain the weight back. She ate everything in site, but the disease took on a life of its own. SAD
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)