Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I Feel Like Such A Failure Update 9-15-13

I Feel Like Such A Failure Update 9-15-13

Hi everyone. I just got back from taking Rory to the vets because he's been throwing up his food almost daily for several weeks now. I just thought that he was eating too fast but it appears that he may have some kind of an intestinal bug. It took me over a week to even figure out which cat was throwing up. His vet bill was over $400 because they did an ultrasound and bloodwork. I now realize that I have way too many cats. I just can't afford to give them the care that they need. I called their foster mom and told her my situation and I will be returning 6 cats back to her by the end of the week. This was a very hard phone call to make but we've been very slow at work so I haven't been making much money lately and have been barely scraping by. She did understand and her rescue group does want the adopters to return the cats back to them if something happens. I feel like such a failure and I'm so mad at myself for even allowing myself to adopt the last 6 cats. I will be returning Summer, Levi, Bentley, Radar, Reece, and Rory. I sure hope that they'll all be able to find a much better and less crowded loving and caring home than mine. I still feel so sick about this. I hope that you'll all understand.
    Last edited by krazyaboutkatz; 09-15-2013 at 10:41 PM.

You are not a failure. Just think of them as long-term foster kitties you were caring for, and know they are going to go to new homes as loved, more mature kitties than when you got them!
    I've Been Frosted

I'm so sorry to hear this - prayers for strength
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..

{{{{hugs}}}} I think we all know what it's like when our pocketbook gets smaller than our very large and loving hearts.

What you are doing takes a lot of courage, and is very difficult. At least their original foster mom is a good one!

Prayers going out.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

You are doing the absolute right thing KAK! I have sometimes wondered how you kept up with all those cats! Your heart was in the right place when you adopted them and it is in the right place now.
    Proud to be a crazy cat lady!

Hugs and prayers for you, Tracey, and all these kitties you love so much. You are not a failure.

from Pat and cats
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I'm sorry Tracy. I feel so bad for you. Your heart was in the right place. You're not a failure.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Thanks so much for all of the support. I know that I'm making the right decision even though it still hurts.

Tracey you are not a failure. Reality set in (sometimes it does that in spades) and you're doing what has to be done for the kitties. {{{Hugs}}}
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!

Quote Originally Posted by krazyaboutkatz View Post
    Thanks so much for all of the support. I know that I'm making the right decision even though it still hurts.
    Of course it hurts. We are human. We try to do the best we can and help those in need. You have made a very difficult decision, but you saw that it needed to be made. I am so sorry it came to this. Thank goodness you made this decision before any of them suffered any serious, major illness, which you could not afford! That is a good thing. And oh how I know how hard it is to sort out who is ill when you have multiples. I had to do that once w/ a UTI and 'someone' peeing outside the box. Took me 2 days to sort it out and then the darn vet (not my vet) told me off for letting the kitty suffer for the extra 2 days. Geesh! We in rescue don't need that, we already know! We see it, we feel it, we struggle with it.

I'm glad that Rory is on the mend now. He will feel better soon!

I don't know about the other three, but re Rory, Reece and Radar, do mention if you think any of them are bonded and should be kept together if at all possible. Makes the change less stressful for them, if they can remain with a bonded pal. I think 2 of them came in together and may be bonded? You will know.

Making hard decisions hurts. If it didn't hurt, it wouldn't be hard. Sending you cyber hugs as you go through the transition.

Tracey you are anything BUT a failure!! I often marvel at your ability to do so much and a decision as tough as this one is not taken lightly. Your responsibility and accountability is to be admired - many would not/ could not have the courage to even try. These kitties will always be your babies and you have done them a great justice - don't forget the good stuff - it counts for everything. Betty
    Yours in Whiskers

I'm not young enough to know everything.

"The Best Mirror is an Old Friend"

“The secret of what is small is the secret of clear-sightedness; the guarding of what is soft and tender is the secret of strength.”

• Lao Tzu

No, you are not a failure. It's hard to monitor that many. Good luck with it. I'm sure the six will do well in another environment thanks to your care.

Hugs and you are doing what is best for the kitties and you. You are no help to them if you are stressed. Mine are rescues or I would return a few to foster care. So I do the best I can.
    Last edited by mrspunkysmom; 09-08-2013 at 06:57 PM.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

So sorry it had to come to this but don't consider yourself a failure when those kittens had a loving home with you while you were able to offer it. With the economy so many people are having a hard time keeping up with costly vet bills. Your phone call took a lot of guts to make , you put the kittens first and did the right thing no matter how hard it was for you--- congratulations.
    Asiel

I've been frosted--- thank you Cassie'smom

I've been Boo'd----

I am very glad that you finally begin to think of yourself as well. I began to worry after your last adoptions. I think even 2 are quite some work when you are alone wirh them and really try to play with them, clean their poop and feed them at the two sides of a full-time job and I just cannot imagine how much work all your kitties must have been.
    I hope they all find wonderful places and I am sure they will as they have learned to live peacefully with humans and kitties.

Knowing your limits does not make you a failure. I don't know if I know anyone who loves their kitties as much as you do, and I know you are putting them first.