Thread: Stupid Advertising at it's best

Stupid Advertising at it's best

Pearl Izumi, a exercise company put out this print ad...

http://www.nbcnews.com/business/runn...-ad-8C11080335

Living next to a large park I sometimes see a woman running with a dog - one woman pushed a stroller and had a leash in the other hand - a dog with his tongue hanging out dutifully following.

This was a few days before the Louisville Marathon where the temps reached 90 degrees and god only knows what the humidity was.....

Ugh, the supidity of mankind...
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

It was a stupid ad, and hopefully people will boycott their sneakers as protest.

There are dogs I see running with their owners who look joyful, as if they wish they could go even faster, but are holding back for their human's sake. And there are those who will NOT run, 60+ pounds of Lab that decides it is not going to run is pretty hard to drag!
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    It said in the article that their approach was humorous. Sorry - but I found nothing at all humorous about it as did the majority of people that saw the ad as well. I found it to be in very poor taste. What jerks.....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Tamara (Glacier) actually posted this awhile ago on Facebook! She wrote a letter and everything I believe and she's also a big runner. I commented to, I think it's disgusting and in very poor taste.

Do people seriously just not think before they publish these days? Cause if anyone finds this humorous, they need an evaluation.
    I run every day (well, when mother nature allows it) with Towser and I'm happy to say that I never want to be able to outrun him.
    The Minions:
    {The Dog: Towser & Raiden} {The Cats: Khaith, Martha, Adelaide, Snowball, & Floki} {The Bird: Gir}

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    It said in the article that their approach was humorous. Sorry - but I found nothing at all humorous about it as did the majority of people that saw the ad as well. I found it to be in very poor taste. What jerks.....

Agreed. The ad was any thing but humorous. Who are these jerks?
    I've Been Boo'd

I've been Frosted

Today is the oldest you've ever been, and the youngest you'll ever be again.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by Alysser View Post
    Tamara (Glacier) actually posted this awhile ago on Facebook! She wrote a letter and everything I believe and she's also a big runner. I commented to, I think it's disgusting and in very poor taste.
    I did write the company & complained on social media. The magazine I saw it in, Canadian Running, has pulled the ad & issued an apology to its readers. I cancelled my subscription anyway & it'll be a cold day in hell before Pearl Izumi gets a dime of my money. I buy at least four pairs of running shoes a year, which isn't a huge amount of money, but this isn't a huge company. Most of the runners I know who saw the ad are boycotting this brand. It won't take a massive number of people spending their money elsewhere to affect the bottom line!
    If you are lucky enough to find a way of life you love, you must find the courage to live it.
    --John Irving

It seems the one(s) who thought up that ad have never been in Petsmart on a Sunday. I certainly don't find it humerous!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Quote Originally Posted by Glacier View Post
    I did write the company & complained on social media. The magazine I saw it in, Canadian Running, has pulled the ad & issued an apology to its readers. I cancelled my subscription anyway & it'll be a cold day in hell before Pearl Izumi gets a dime of my money. I buy at least four pairs of running shoes a year, which isn't a huge amount of money, but this isn't a huge company. Most of the runners I know who saw the ad are boycotting this brand. It won't take a massive number of people spending their money elsewhere to affect the bottom line!
    That's the best way to protest, with one's $$$ - anything else just gives the company publicity. Bravo for you!

(My feet and I have been at odds nearly forever, I cannot buy "real" sneakers - never found any that just don't feel weird and make me want to turn my ankles to the side, so your letter and boycott is more meaningful to them.)
    I've Been Frosted