Thread: Tony Tales

Tony Tales

We've had NO fights since last Wednesday morning. BOTH boys have discovered: REVERSE!

Mostly it is Willy who backs up. Early on, Tony would growl a warning and Willy would just ignore that. Now, Tony gives a soft growl and Willy is in reverse: back up, back up, back up, back UP!! Since he has arthritis in his knees and hips, often his front legs are moving faster than his rear, and he lands in a sit. Then he bounces his front legs to the side, gets up and moves away at an angle, away from Tony. This is all proper dog etiquette, not to turn you back on the growler, not to face the growler, and so on. It is rather comical as well!

There have been no inquiries about Tony; I did not expect any. He will be tough to place. So I also have been working on all the things the trainers advised. This too seems to be helping.

Tony is not a fighter. He is very fearful, and shows fear aggression. The path to address this involved building up his confidence levels. Now, it's only been a month, and this will be about a 2 year job. But I do see him settling in better now, being a bit calmer. Perhaps too, what I am seeing is the hormones calming down, his neuter was 4 weeks back now.

So both boys are working on a truce and I am working with them.

That's not to say all is FINE, not yet. Willy DOES get exuberant and I am right on him to calm him OR right on Tony to redirect him away from the commotion. Willy is and has always been my 'noisy boy,' and Tony does not like it, not one bit. So I am having to train both of them, though Tony needs more training.

Riding in the car is a scary time for Tony. He pants and drools. Since we are back and forth to my Dad's house now, a 1.5 hour drive one way, he is getting a lot of exposure to car rides. And I do take them out to places for walks, so he gets short trips quite often. This last trip back to RI (Monday evening), Tony actually slept for almost 30 minutes.

Tony, Tasha and Riley will play tug with toys and will blitz together, so the girls are doing alright with him now. They were walking on egg shells around him for over a week.

I left my camera cord at Dad's so I can't share any photos until we return to his house.

Here's an attempt at a joke: esrever! (that's Reverse, backwards )
    I'm glad to read things are going some better. Tony-pup, I don't especially like car trips either, unless I'm driving. I hope you get more comfortable with short trips, and the drive to dad's house gets easier too. Sometimes car rides can end in a fun place for a walk. I will keep my fingers crossed for continued progress! I am sending everyone some gentle petting and lovies
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Good to hear things are better with Tony and Willy!
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I bet you go right by us, between your house and your dad's! Do you go up 95? So glad things are settling down a bit between him and Willy!
    I've Been Frosted

Karen, depending on the time of day we travel, I go either 495 or 128. Rte 128 is faster UNLESS it is rush hour. And I've learned, 'rush hour' on 128 is anywhere between 3 PM and 6:30 PM!

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I'm so glad to hear that some progress is being made. Hopefully it will continue on a positive note.

I had to grin tho - at the thought of Willy actually backing down to anything or anyone! Definitely out of character for that little character! Sending smooches to all of The Fluffs.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Progress is progress! Keep it up, boys!
    http://bestsmileys.com/cats1/4.gif

​GO RAVENS!!