Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Simba, the dog who started it all.

Simba, the dog who started it all.

I've been struggling to create this post simply because I get far too emotional when trying to type this up.

Two weeks ago today my family and I said our good byes to Simba. It was truly the hardest decision I have ever made. His body was failing him but his mind and heart were there. He even wagged his tail and tried to greet me when I arrived at my parents house, but his body wouldn't let him.

I am so grateful that I work with a group of amazing veterinarians. We were able to say good bye to him at home, his home, the place he made home for us the 16.5 years we were blessed with his physical presence. My mom and I sat on the front porch with him, one of his favorite hangouts. We took turns to the efrigerator and brought him several different delicious meals before the doctor arrived. I held him and spoke to him as we were letting him go.

Simba is the reason I am who I am today. He was my very first dog and the biggest project of all of my rescues. He was a young, scared, fear aggressive 8 month old puppy and I was a lonely ten year old girl who always dreamed of having her own dog. He taught me how to deal with the numerous fear aggressive "I want to eat your face" patients I deal with on a daily basis at work. He helped me build confidence in myself and we tackled the world together.

I go through spurs of being highly relieved that we were able to end his pains of being an old dog to bawling my eyes out because I feel part of my heart being ripped away.

He may have been the one who needed safety that day 16 years ago when we adopted him, but it was him who brought us safety.

My dear Simba Lou, my heart dog. Everyday, I help several dogs and cats, through work and rescue work, and it's because of him.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Dear Kay, I am sending you enormous HUGS HUGS HUGS HUGS as I read this. You and Simba had many happy years together. You adopted each other, in a way. He knew fun, happiness and love throughout his life with you.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Aww, Simba was such a faithful dog, we knew he loved you very, very much. The time we met you, your Dad and dogs in Findlay, one could find you just by seeing where Simba was focussed. He came to you when you most needed a friend and someone who would teach you so much. And through him, you found us here at Pet Talk, and we were able to help you and watch over you through your struggles when you are young, and watched you grow and mature into the young lady you are today.

Yes, I know you have his pampering tattooed onto your skin, but even deeper is his face tattooed on your heart, and there it will stay forever, never fading, untouched by time. You learned so much about dogs, were able to teach so many people how wrong breed discrimination is, how to deal with a frightened dog, and finally, how to help an aging beloved friend.

These are lessons no book could ever teach. He will always be part of you, as surely as his golden hairs have woven themselves into the carpets, the furniture and all sorts of hidden places. And when you are an old woman, many many years from now, you can tell children the story of Simba, the dog of your heart.
    I've Been Frosted

Kay, I am so sorry - a heart pet is like no other. Sweet Simba - he could not have had a better, more loving home...he had heaven on earth with you.

I'm sending gentle hugs and I hope, in time, that memories will bring more smiles and fewer tears.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Sending you cyber hugs, Kay. Losing a friend is never easy, and Simba was a unique, special friend in so many ways.

The highs and lows you describe are all a part of the grieving process. I am so sorry you have to work through this; but as I often say, the hardest part of our pets is that their life span is so much shorter than ours. Thank you for making this tough decision, for your dear Simba.

Blog Entries
    Kfamr, I am so sorry to read of Simba's passing. (((HUGS))) What a wonderful life Simba had with you. I know what you mean about him being your heart dog. It is that special one that comes along, a once in a life time & remains in your heart forever.
    The frost is on the pumpkin & I've been BOO'D by two pet talk ghosts.
    Thank you Fritz & Cassiesmom

Grieve not, nor speak of me with tears,
    but laugh and talk of me as if I were beside you.
    I loved you so...T'was Heaven here with you.

So sorry for your loss Kay. Simba was one of the first dogs I remember when I came to Pet Talk.
    Yes, he made you what you are today. He will live forever in your heart.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

So sorry to hear about Simba. He will always be with you in your heart.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Simba is a PT legend, never to be forgotten. Sending massive hugs Kay xxx.

Rest easy Simba. If you see my big red girl on the flip side send my love.
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

Simba was one of the first dogs I fell in love with through cyber-space when I joined this forum. I always came back to see the pictures of him and his siblings and hear the stories of their adventures.

Even though I already knew of Simba's passing, I still got LES as I read your words. I feel your pain. I am so sorry.

RIP Simba
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I am so sorry for your loss of Simba. It is obvious from your writeup that you loved him very much and vice versa. I believe you will see him again one day. Meanwhile, he is no longer in any kind of pain or discomfort. You loved him enough to let him go. My Condolences.

Kay,

I'm so very sorry to read about your loss of dear Simba. Your heartfelt tribute to him is beautiful, and it is clear that the pair of you drew strength and courage from each other in so many ways. He did a good 'job' with you.

Zimbabwe 07/13

Thank you all for your kind words. It means so much to me that Simba has had an impact on people hundreds of thousands miles away.

I knew this time was going to end sooner than later, and I find myself having a harder time than I expected. I miss my boy so much.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

I am so sorry, I don't get on pettalk much so I missed this. My heart aches for you. Run free handsome boy.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Just seeing this now, I am so sorry to read about Simba, Kay. Can't believe he was gone, but you can live knowing you saved his life and that he had a good long life with you and your family. Rest in Peace, handsome guy.